Sensor node with Xbee Starter Kit

Bluetooth, XBee, RF......

Sensor node with Xbee Starter Kit

Postby nad1a » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:45 pm

Hi,

my project is to demonstrate the use of cameras in wireless sensor network to monitor outdoor conditions.. like a surveillance camera.

I'd like to know, would the Xbee Starter Kit be suitable if it were to be build into a sensor node? A basic visual sensor node would consist of a MCU, wireless transmitter, a camera module or optionally a data flash to store the images temporarily.

Do you have any advice on which of your products is suitable to build such sensor nodes? Will the Xbee Starter Kit be suitable to be interfaced with an MCU that will also be interfaced with a camera module by serial connection? Also, may i have an estimation of the total cost if i were to build one?
nad1a
Greenhorn

Re: Sensor node with Xbee Starter Kit

Postby ober » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:37 pm

nad1a WROTE:my project is to demonstrate the use of cameras in wireless sensor network to monitor outdoor conditions.. like a surveillance camera.

It will much depend on what level of application you want the XBee to be. Basically XBee is just a wireless device, sending and receiving data wirelessly. If you want to transfer your image from camera through XBee, you will need to do a lot of programming. If you like it to send small data, it will be no problem. However you will still need to take care the traffic in the network.

Do you have any advice on which of your products is suitable to build such sensor nodes? Will the Xbee Starter Kit be suitable to be interfaced with an MCU that will also be interfaced with a camera module by serial connection? Also, may i have an estimation of the total cost if i were to build one?

XBee is just a wireless transceiver as I mentioned above. The MCU play important part on what to do, Camera and XBee should be connected to MCU and data should go through MCU to be processed and decided what to do. There are several types of MCU and Camera available in the market. You will still need to do a lot of study on which is suitable in your project. I am looking at 500 (require a lot of work in hardware and software) to 2000 or even more depending on your objective.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby ober » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:13 am

nad1a, 1 post is good enough, please do not duplicate the topic.

From nad1a:
I've asked in this thread before : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10354

Basically, i'm still aiming to pursue the same project. May i know if the CMUcam2 and US sensor that you sell can be interfaced with a wireless board that has serial I/O inputs? by wireless board i mean a sensor node like this one. (sorry to quote others' product)

thanks in advance!
Ober Choo
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby nad1a » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:43 pm

Sorry to ask you questions, i am very new. but can i anybody help answer my last question please?

I've asked in this thread before : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10354

Basically, i'm still aiming to pursue the same project. May i know if the CMUcam2 and US sensor that you sell can be interfaced with a wireless board that has serial I/O inputs? by wireless board i mean a sensor node like this one. (sorry to quote others' product)

thanks in advance!
nad1a
Greenhorn

Postby ober » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:33 pm

you have asked a general question.

1. CMUcam, to communicate with it, you will need UART. If the wireless module provide such interface, it can be connected and use.

2. Ultrasonic Sensor, you can refer to data sheet, the output is RS232 tx, PWM and Analog. can the wireless device read analog voltage? Because CMUcam has taken the UART interface.

I cannot really answer your question because it is not straight forward connection, you will need to study the interface, might need to develop software for data processing and more.
Ober Choo
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby nad1a » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:45 pm

thanks for your effort! ;)
nad1a
Greenhorn

Return to Wireless Device