RF Device (Transmitter and Receiver)

Bluetooth, XBee, RF......

Re: RF Device (Transmitter and Receiver)

Postby sushi » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:09 pm

ya, you are right, I am doing a child monitoring device. What is the meaning of line of sight as mentioned in the disadvantage of using soundwave.
sushi
Freshie

Postby yonghui » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:57 am

hi,

if cost is not so problem in ur case. then u can consider xbee module.
u can read signal strength of xbee module to estimate roughly the distance from the transmitter.

regards,
yh
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Postby sushi » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:24 pm

cost is one of the consideration in this project as well. Anyway, thank you for your suggestion. I would opt for cheaper components.
sushi
Freshie

Postby ABSF » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:32 pm

sushi WROTE:ya, you are right, I am doing a child monitoring device. What is the meaning of line of sight as mentioned in the disadvantage of using soundwave.

Line of sight is the sending of signal not blocked by any objects in between or else it wont work. Examples are the infra red remote controls used in TV and DVD players. Another example is the dishes on communication towers. The signals are so directional that if the TX and RX dishes are not aligned properly the loss would be very high.

You can google on FM or AM lower frequency bands TX and RX. The beacon data can be in audio range and be detected by an LM567. I am not sure about the range but I have seen FM mic that can transmit to a distance of 20-30 metres. The best news is it is available in kits. The receiver can be a simple portable FM/AM radio. Try to ask the experts in sci.electronics.basics and see if you can get a satisfactory answer there.

Allen
The next war will determine NOT who is right BUT what is left.
ABSF
Professional

Postby fuad » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:32 pm

Can i use XBee PRO as a transmitter...i know it is transceiver and it should be act as transmitter/receiver. but i want to connect it through FPGA board. what i know if i want to use XBee Pro i need to install the software right..but i just want to connect it without install any software, and just transmit the data...all the coding for transmission will be build in FPGA board...and want to receive back the data at other computer...also using the same device (XBee PRO)...
what i worried here, can i use it without install any software since i want to connect it with fpga. i want to use it just as transmitter at the transmit part and at the receiver part i connect it direct to computer...
fuad
Greenhorn

Postby yonghui » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:42 pm

hi,

im not sure whether ur FPGA board has the UART transceiver module.
else u will need to use HDL or schematic entry to implement the uart because Xbee module communicate with uart.

regards,
yh
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Postby ober » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:30 pm

fuad WROTE:Can i use XBee PRO as a transmitter...i know it is transceiver and it should be act as transmitter/receiver. but i want to connect it through FPGA board. what i know if i want to use XBee Pro i need to install the software right..but i just want to connect it without install any software, and just transmit the data...all the coding for transmission will be build in FPGA board...and want to receive back the data at other computer...also using the same device (XBee PRO)...
what i worried here, can i use it without install any software since i want to connect it with fpga. i want to use it just as transmitter at the transmit part and at the receiver part i connect it direct to computer...

Actually no software is needed in XBee to be transceiver, or in your case transmitter. The software normally being installed in computer is X-CTU which is used for configuration and more advance stuff such as test and reloading firmware. For your case, you need to transmit from one XBee to another XBee, all you need to do is configure the MY address and DL address.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby fuad » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:53 pm

thanks to admin for replying me as soon as possible...
another question, if i use XBee Explorer Serial and connect it to my FPGA does it will work..?
or you have another suggestion board for me to use to connect it to my FPGA...
fuad
Greenhorn

Postby shiyan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:20 pm

fuad WROTE:If i use XBee Explorer Serial and connect it to my FPGA does it will work..?
or you have another suggestion board for me to use to connect it to my FPGA...

Not really sure what is XBee Explorer Serial is. But as long as the FPGA have the same interface (UART with 3.3V level) you should be able to connect it directly to XBee module alone.
shiyan
Amateur

Postby Chuuut » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:56 pm

Hi, can i use the pt 2262 and pt 2272 as a encoder and decoder then use the Rf315 module as a transmitter and receiver.
Chuuut
Greenhorn

PreviousNext

Return to Wireless Device