How to connect between GPS and GSM

Bluetooth, XBee, RF......

How to connect between GPS and GSM

Postby haneyf » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:35 pm

\Hye.i has a problem and i need any ideas to solve this problem.i want uses GSM and Global Positioning System (GPS) modem installed inside busses and a personal computer that acts as GSM server that connects to each other. When the bus moves, an SMS is sent to the GSM server to be read, analyse and processed.so the sms can display/acquire the location, distance, speed and Estimated Time of Arrival (ETA)s of the bus to reach the bus stop.so.how product that i need to use. :?: :roll:
haneyf
Freshie

Re: How to connect between GPS and GSM

Postby waiweng83 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:27 am

In short, you need 2 GSM modems, a USB to RS-232 converter, a GPS module, a MCU with supporting circuit and also a MAX 232 circuit.

The connection for the GSM server should look like this:

PC --- USB to RS232 Converter --- GSM modem.

While the connection on the bus should be:

GPS --- MCU --- MAX232 --- GSM Modem.

Please take note that the MCU you choose should have at least 2 UART ports.
With the power of dream, nothing is impossible...
waiweng83

Postby haneyf » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:55 am

waiweng83 WROTE:In short, you need 2 GSM modems, a USB to RS-232 converter, a GPS module, a MCU with supporting circuit and also a MAX 232 circuit.

The connection for the GSM server should look like this:

PC --- USB to RS232 Converter --- GSM modem.

While the connection on the bus should be:

GPS --- MCU --- MAX232 --- GSM Modem.

Please take note that the MCU you choose should have at least 2 UART ports.

Thanks....but i still confious about gps module....gps module mean that i only use "32 Channel GPS Receiver" ..it's true?......then....MCU mean Multipoint Control Unit...but i can't imagine MCU like?....can i use SK-40C to interface between GPS module and MAX232....... :?: :roll:
haneyf
Freshie

Postby shiyan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:51 am

haneyf WROTE:Thanks....but i still confious about gps module....gps module mean that i only use "32 Channel GPS Receiver" ..it's true?......then....MCU mean Multipoint Control Unit...but i can't imagine MCU like?....can i use SK-40C to interface between GPS module and MAX232....... :?: :roll:

You yourself are not sure which module to use? MCU is MicroController Unit....... :shock:

As waiweng83 said you will need a MCU with 2 UART. As far as I know, SK40C from Cytron is a starter kit that support 40 pin PIC MCU, not a complete PIC controller, you need to choose a PIC for it. The keywords here is "2 UART", you will need to search for PIC that have >= 2 UART, and 40 pin, then you can use it.
shiyan
Amateur

Postby haneyf » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:45 pm

Thanks~That means..I must select looking for PIC microcontroller wiht 2 UARTs kan~orait....
haneyf
Freshie

Postby sich » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:11 am

Besides what others suggested, you can try to learn from this DIY project on how to generate UART using software approach too. But by using this method, your program gets more complicated.
~> How to ask QUESTIONS the SMART way in FORUM? <~
sich

Postby haneyf » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:08 pm

boleh x u bg pendapat gps module mn yg sesuai untuk i gunakan...i pkan nk guna yg ini http://my.element14.com/jsp/search/prod ... ....adakah ia boleh integrate dgn pic nnt....ada x reference yg boleh i refer untuk coding gps ni....
haneyf
Freshie

Postby kl84 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:55 pm

haneyf,

Your link got problem. Try to edit it. Nway i still manage to open it...hehe.
Since this device uses RS232 or TTL serial for communication, so it can be used with any microcontroller with uart interface. Read more about RS232 vs TTL UART. However, i didn't see any communication protocol given in the datasheet at the website. It should be needed, but i'm not sure.
kl84
Amateur

Postby robosang » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:45 pm

:lol: I can open the link too!
robosang
Expert

Postby haneyf » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:44 am

haneyf
Freshie

Next