Can the xbee module in real time webcam application?

Bluetooth, XBee, RF......

Can the xbee module in real time webcam application?

Postby sysysy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 pm

I am going to build a robot with a pc webcam.
but will through the wireless transmission to PC to watch the scene capture from webcam.

May i know can i use xbee in for the wireless transmission?

Can anyone reply me asap?

sorry, coz i am thinking for buy this board shortly.

juz need to confirm.
sysysy
Novice

Re: Can the xbee module in real time webcam application?

Postby kl84 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:29 am

Why don't you use a wireless camera instead? I don't know if XBee can do the job but It's definitely not a cheaper solution.

You can get something like this. It is usually used in wireless surveillance system. You'll need this to connect it to the usb port of your computer.

Another approach is to use a wireless network camera aka. wireless IP camera. Or...Use a wired network camera, connect it to a wireless router and connect it with your computer through WIFI.

Okay...don't feel like it? Google this "Connect cellphone camera to PC" That's just my two cents :D
kl84
Amateur

Postby kl84 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:49 am

I remember Cytron has a video about a mobile robot using cellphone as the wireless camera and i found it! Watch this.
kl84
Amateur

Postby shiyan » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:08 pm

sysysy WROTE:I am going to build a robot with a pc webcam.
but will through the wireless transmission to PC to watch the scene capture from webcam.

May i know can i use xbee in for the wireless transmission?

Can anyone reply me asap?

sorry, coz i am thinking for buy this board shortly.

juz need to confirm.

Ar....... well.... doing project is like swimming, or like driving a car, you will need to learn and understand, experience it. There is no short cut for it. The short cut you want to take will end up longer time 8-) .

1. Using webcam, the only interface is USB, right? Can USB from webcam connect to XBee?
2. 1st, hardware cannot do..... nothing can be done.
3. Try to use what is suggested by kl84, you can use wireless IP camera, but you will need Wifi.
4. Wireless CCTV is fine also, but you will need computer to capture the image and fine a way to record it if you need to do so.

Good luck!
shiyan
Amateur

Postby aurora » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:39 pm

Nope. The amount of information to be transfer for image file is overwhelmingly big for a Xbee. Even with UART at highest setting also, you can only get very low resolution and low framerate.

A more feasible option is to use IP camera. This technology is still very new to electronic hobbyist, a bit challenging I heard. ;)
aurora
Discoverer

Return to Wireless Device