unable to open com port

Bluetooth, XBee, RF......

unable to open com port

Postby didiey » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:53 am

Hello, hi! i'm just curious to know why there have certain xbee for instance xbee 24, when there are try to programmed it with xctu the result display unable to open the com port. can someone tell me why and how to solve this problem? :?
didiey

Re: unable to open com port

Postby kl84 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:12 am

What's xBee 24? How do you connect the xbee to your computer? Using Cytron's SKXBee? You build your own circuit?
kl84
Amateur

Postby didiey » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:14 am

kl84 WROTE:What's xBee 24? How do you connect the xbee to your computer? Using Cytron's SKXBee? You build your own circuit?

Actually i juz used usb cable to connect xbee 24 with computer, before that there have to install driver from max stream, however this xbee unable to communicate with modem,therefore this situation make me difficult to programmed it.

In the same time, when i connected skxbee with xctu with the same computer, it can run as expected.
Attachments
xctu2.JPG
didiey

Postby robosang » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:58 am

didiey WROTE:Actually i juz used usb cable to connect xbee 24 with computer, before that there have to install driver from max stream, however this xbee unable to communicate with modem,therefore this situation make me difficult to programmed it.

Are you saying you direct connect USB cable to XBee module or SKXBee? Can we connect directly from USB to XBee module, how and which pin is connected? very curious to know 8-)

Actually to load firmware, the SKXBee is ready with that, play with it sometime ago and i accidentally corrupted the firmware, :shock: And need to use special step to reload the firmware.

Very weird in the photo you shared, I thought we should select the USB Serial Port (COM 4) instead of the COM9.
robosang
Expert

Postby didiey » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:41 am

robosang WROTE:
didiey WROTE:Actually i juz used usb cable to connect xbee 24 with computer, before that there have to install driver from max stream, however this xbee unable to communicate with modem,therefore this situation make me difficult to programmed it.

Are you saying you direct connect USB cable to XBee module or SKXBee? Can we connect directly from USB to XBee module, how and which pin is connected? very curious to know 8-)

Actually to load firmware, the SKXBee is ready with that, play with it sometime ago and i accidentally corrupted the firmware, :shock: And need to use special step to reload the firmware.

Very weird in the photo you shared, I thought we should select the USB Serial Port (COM 4) instead of the COM9.

yeah..skxbee juz directly connect to laptop, however when i connect xbee module which was solder with xbib development board it got problem. Sorry, may be for the previous post i didn't mentioned that. Based on the previous post,the picture had shown usb serial port because it was connected with two xbee in the same laptop and in the same time, may be you will more understand if looked this picture.

This picture shown the xbee module which had a problem when i want progrmmed it with xctu, it was juzt detect by the computer, but parameter failed to read.

I dunnow why there have problem, XCTU unable to open~ :roll:
i'm got little confiused and blur, do you know why? :?:
Attachments
Picture 005.jpg
Picture 005.jpg (17.46 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
didiey

Postby yonghui » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:53 pm

hi,

if u are connecting ur xbee to computer through usb to serial communication, UART communication. for normal sending and receiving is ok, no problem. but if u want to program ur xbee, to update firmware. u will need more than TX and RX, refer to the usermanual of the XBEE, i think will need RTS ,CTS pins. and also need to make sure selecting the correct com port. check the correct com port in device manager. if wrong comport is selected, then there will be communication error, cant open COMport.

regards,
yh
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Postby daren208 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:43 pm

hi, I am facing the same problem unable to communicate with modem. I am using XBee module ( Not SKBEE) . I did connect the minimum pin for update firmware which is VCC, Din, Dout, GND, RTS, and DTR.
unable.png
enable API box is unchecked
ok.png
enable API box is checed

After checked the enable API box the modem can communicate but modem type and firmware unknow. ( Not same with SKBEE) is it I need load the firmware first ? XBee 1mW Wire Antenna . What firmware should I load ? XB24 ? function set ? version ?
I use to simply try this version of firmware. I already try all value of Baudrate. But it doesn't work.
program.png
load firmware
. I hv no ideas how to solve it . Please help.....
daren208

Postby daren208 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:13 am

I have try the method follow SKBEE firmware corruption restore method and using the function set and firmware version in FAQ. But it still come out withe these command.

Getting modem type....Programming modem...OK
No AT parameters to set
Detected baud rate difference.
Make sure PC and modem baud rate is set correctly
Write Parameters...Complete

The SKBEE firmware version same with XBEE Module ?
daren208

Postby ober » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:04 pm

daren208 WROTE:I have try the method follow SKBEE firmware corruption restore method and using the function set and firmware version in FAQ. But it still come out withe these command.

Getting modem type....Programming modem...OK
No AT parameters to set
Detected baud rate difference.
Make sure PC and modem baud rate is set correctly
Write Parameters...Complete

The SKBEE firmware version same with XBEE Module ?

So are you saying you have problem with XBee module which you connect to different board? Not SKXBee, correct?

SKXBee is a board that comes with USB connector, USB to UART connector and 5V interface to ease the interface to microcontroller and computer for fast testing and usage. The firmware is applied for XBee module onboard, of course is the same.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby daren208 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:06 pm

okay. Thanks...
daren208

Return to Wireless Device