Wireless ECG using 2 SKXBEE

Bluetooth, XBee, RF......

Wireless ECG using 2 SKXBEE

Postby winfai » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:22 pm

Hi all,

I am currently rushing for my FYP.... I am doing the wireless ECG transmission.... I have sensor board, 2 SKXBEE starter kits and a desktop in my project design configuration. One of the SKXBEE will used with the desktop and another wan with sensor board. I am quite blur with the wireless transmission programming part.

1. Can the SKXBEE be programmed directly using the computer??? The software that provided in the cytron website, X-CTU used to programmed the SKXBEE or i need to included my programming code in the sensor board microcontroller??? My idea with the SKXBEE is i need to program the code in these SKXBEE starter kits (for both receiver and transmitter) using X-CTU, the wireless programming code will not related with my sensor board.... Am i correct???

2.Is the microcontroller on the SKXBEE is using PIC16???? Please correct me if i am wrong.... I am really frustrated on it...

thanks in advance
winfai
Novice

Re: Wireless ECG using 2 SKXBEE

Postby robosang » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:44 am

winfai WROTE:I am really frustrated on it...

frustration does not help :mrgreen: Cool yourself down, other can do it, you can do it. If you cannot do it is because you din find the way to do it.

I think either XBee or SKXBee is just a wireless tool that grab data that it receive and send wireless to the other XBee which somehow being pair up. That is in transparent mode. The X-CTU is just a software for user to configure the address, and terminal to display data receive and send data being type. Have you try sending data from a PC to another PC using these XBee? You can actually use other terminal program such as Hyperterminal to do the receive data and transmit data. My point, X-CTU is just a software to help user to get started, no big deal on that.
OK, in order to read the sensor, you will need to know what is the output from sensor, Analog? Serial? digital? PWM? If analog, simple way (might not be) is to get a microcontroller, program it to read analog voltage, convert to ASCII send to UART and to XBEE. Basically, you don need to program the XBee, after setting the correct MY address and DL address, it become transparent.

What is the code on the IC? I don think Cytron put a PIC on the XBee board, for what?

Doing project is like driving car, you need to do it yourself, we can only guide you, you need to experience it!
robosang
Expert

Postby winfai » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:37 pm

Thanks robosang for your reply.... I have another question on the SKXBEE.... In order to send data via SKXBEE, we have to program the SKXBEE, how can we program it if we doesn't use X-CTU???? Is it a necessary to connect it to a mirocontroller to make it function?? I am trying to make it clear.... My data output (ECG) is somehow undergo ADC conversion and it is ready to display on the desktop using cable... now i need to transform it to be display via wireless,zigbee.... If i didn't program the SKXBEE, connect both SKXBEE , one to computer and another to the sesor board, both will interact, can it work???? or it needto included microcontroller in this case??? anyone can help comment on this for me???

Thanks in advance
winfai
Novice

Postby yonghui » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:20 pm

hi,

xbee can function standalone, but in ur case, since u have computers connected to skxbee, u can write ur own windows pogram/ GUI to communicate with xbee to make the xbee to transmit and receive ur data.
for the GUI u can refer to cytron magazine of last volume, talking about getting started with IFC xbee, the topic talks bout IFC xbee communicate with skxbee which is connected to a computer and there is simple GUI application.

regards,
yh
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Postby winfai » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:23 am

Thanks yong hui for your reply.... I will try to refer to that design magazine. So you mean i just connect the SKXBEE to sensor board and computer, any microcontroller related to ZIgbee have to included in this case???
winfai
Novice

Postby winfai » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:33 pm

Hi all,

There are more information i would like to add. The data out from the sensor board is via usb (i can directly use cable to transmit data to the desktop). Thus, can i connect one SKXBEE to the sensor board via USB and another one to the computer, and the transmission will able took place simultaneously. Am i right??? Is it plug and play as SKXBEE is a transparent board.... Is there any programming effort needed in this case as the SKXBEE come in starter kits form??? I am sorry if i cause inconvenience, i trying to make my problem clear here...

thanks in advance... thank you for reading and giving me advice
winfai
Novice

Postby yonghui » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:26 pm

hi,

how is your ECG source signal board look like?

Xbee need communication, uart communication. so some programming is needed.
ur ECG source board need to give the data to the xbee through uart communication. it then transmit it as wireless signal.
the receiver will receive the signal at computer side. the computer will need communicate with xbee through uart to retrieve the data immediately.
skxbee have the uart to usb converter on board. for computer part u can use the usb, it will create a virtual com port( uart).

regards,
yh
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Postby winfai » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:07 pm

Hi,

Thanks again for ur advice, yong hui. Your advice make my problem clearer. I am using freescale ecg development kits, it has a tower system which allow user to transfer data via USB. The ecg module can just transfer the signal via USB cable to the desktop. I still have doubt, if there is programming code needed, then how do we program the SKXBEE as i think we can't program the SKXBEE. is it a necessary to include the microcontroller such as PIC18 to control the uart communication?? If i just plug the SKXBEE (USB cable) with the Freescale ECG development kits, where should i program the coding??? For computer site (receiver), is it we just needed to plug the SKXBEE to the USB then it can receive data after settings. The main concern is i don't know where to program the SKXBEE as X-CTU that provided in the website is not serve the purpose of programming...

sorry if my question not clear and i am really appreciate you for any comments you give.... thank you
winfai
Novice

Postby aurora » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:33 pm

You have a picture, link, or something? I can't find anything in the web with "freescale ECG Development Kits".

XBee is like a Mose-code device. You need a translator that understand what you speak, and convert to Mose-code. And at the receiver end, you need a translator that can read and speak to you in your language.

For your case, you have to find out if the ECG kit can speak in XBee language (which is the uart). If it can't, then you need something that understand ECG language and translate to XBee language, which you can do it yourself by programming the language into the microcontroller.

As for PC, you don't have to worry about that, cause you can use X-CTU, hyperterminal, etc.

Now, time to check your ECG, what kind of language it speaks (UART, SPI, I2C, PWM, analog, or special protocol).
aurora
Discoverer

Postby winfai » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Dear aurora,

Thanks a lot for your reply... Really appreciate it....This is the link for the development kits
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/sit ... F51MM-KIT#

It compose of 3 different board. the data output is via USB cable. so i am thinking of using one SKXBEE connect with the tower system above.... But the program is i can't program or in your work, translate to action. the SKXBEE can either use microcontroller or USB cable at one time and it can't use simultaneously. what can i do?? I have another question, the SKXBEE that use with computer will not require any programming, just use X-CTU to configure???

thanks for reply... thank you
winfai
Novice

Next

Return to Wireless Device