SKXBEE (5.0V and 3.3V)

Bluetooth, XBee, RF......

SKXBEE (5.0V and 3.3V)

Postby winfai » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:40 am

Hi all,

I have question again on SKXBEE. I would like to ask, if i am connecting UART connector (Tx, Rx) which is output at 3.3V on my device to the SKXBEE (Tx, Rx), can it work??? I read the SKXBEE manual and know that actually X-Bee module on the SKXBEE work at 3.3V, the 5V supply is step down in order to let the XBee module work. I will connect the 5V supply separately to the SKXBEE and Tx and Rx which output at 3.3V to SKXBEE respectively. Can it work???

Thanks in advance
winfai
Novice

Re: SKXBEE (5.0V and 3.3V)

Postby robosang » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:39 pm

If you want to use 3.3V, then you should get yourself XBee module is good enough. I get a XBee module and SKXBee from Cytron just to have fun because many project uses it. SKXBee has been designed to ease the beginner to use XBee, with the USB connection on board and 5V interface. Of course some of the features being filtered out, but that is the purpose of starter kit.

Not really sure can it work or not, but why don try it? Anyway, what is the 3.3V device you plan to connect?
robosang
Expert

Postby winfai » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:38 am

Thanks for your reply, i just find out that the device that i am using output different voltage rather. But there is a CAN transceiver that compatible with 3.3 and 5V devices. Can it used to connect SKXBEE??? I try to figure out theoretically what possible method can work for my project and try on it when all my components assembled...
winfai
Novice

Postby ober » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:41 pm

winfai WROTE:Thanks for your reply, i just find out that the device that i am using output different voltage rather. But there is a CAN transceiver that compatible with 3.3 and 5V devices. Can it used to connect SKXBEE??? I try to figure out theoretically what possible method can work for my project and try on it when all my components assembled...

XBee and SKXBee does not support CAN. CAN is another different serial protocol. The straight forward method is to either use UART or RS232 where it save your time developing the bridge to connect your device to SKXBee. Though RS232 is different, you just need to add a MAX232 in between the device and SKXBee and there can communicate. Using other method is possible, but you will need more time to develop the hardware and software.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Return to Wireless Device