How to make sure Xbee is in pair?

Bluetooth, XBee, RF......

How to make sure Xbee is in pair?

Postby daren208 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:49 am

Hi, I had bought 2 Xbee. According to datasheet the minimum is VCC ,GND , Dout and Din. It is I just connect this 4 pin of Xbee to 2 PIC then can use USART to communicate ? I dont wish to up date Xbee firmware. Just want use simple wireless communication. Does it work without using X-CUT software? thanks
daren208

Re: How to make sure Xbee is in pair?

Postby yonghui » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:36 pm

hi,

if u wan it to work with xctu, u will need to connect to computer not connect to PIC.
DL and MY address of the module need to match in order for the pair to transmit and receive.

regards,
yh
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Postby daren208 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:19 pm

I just want to communicate between 2 PIC. So I can just connect XBEE to PIC UART Pin. Dont need XCTU software right ?
daren208

Postby robosang » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:20 pm

daren208 WROTE:I just want to communicate between 2 PIC. So I can just connect XBEE to PIC UART Pin. Dont need XCTU software right ?

I doubt you gone through the datasheet of XBee. Why? Because all the question you asked is being answered in datasheet. I get myself a SKXBee from Cytron and the User's Manual also shown a good example. Hope you do some study before asking basic question in forum.
robosang
Expert

Postby aurora » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:14 am

When you say you bought the XBee, do you mean the XBee OEM or the SKXBee? There are some differences here.

The Xbee comes with default setting, basically all comes with identical setting, which also means they are not pair. To pair it, yes, you can do the configuration via PIC UART, or any form of UART.

But, best to use the XCTU, because as you change the configuration, you get to see the changes made onto the configuration on your screen.

Configure using UART is more troublesome, and people would only do that if they don't have the SKXBee (as the XBee OEM doesn't come with USB). For that case, you would need a COM/Serial converter (aka RS232) or USB/Serial converter (aka UC00A). You can use XCTU if you use either converter.

I won't suggest to use PIC UART, that would be the last choice. By using PIC, you need to develop additional codes, and you will need some form of feedback for verification (which is most troublesome). Without feedback, (i.e. LCD for display) it is extremely difficult to troubleshoot if you screw up.
aurora
Discoverer

Postby daren208 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:59 pm

What I bough is XBee OEM. NOT start kit. Thanks aurora . Your answer is very useful for me. Your answer is exactly help me solve all confuse thing. Thanks :)
daren208

Postby yonghui » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:45 pm

hi,

using PIC uart, can configure the xbee, just tat u cant see and error prompt. but u can install lcd to the PIC to view the response from xbee. quick browse through the datasheet to see those commands and response.

regards,
yh
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Postby daren208 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:47 am

Thanks. Yonghui
daren208

Return to Wireless Device