Write custom software/program to communicate with GSM Modem?

Bluetooth, XBee, RF......

Write custom software/program to communicate with GSM Modem?

Postby alexanderlim » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:04 am

Hi all,

I emailed to cytron support to confirm (before buying) that we can actually write our own software to communicate directly to the GSM modem and to download sms received by the GSM modem and also send sms through the software and out from the GSM modem. I have not received any reply from the support and I hope experts in this forum will be able to help.

Here is my email to them:

I would like to find out from you whether it is possible to write our own software (using VB .Net or some other languages) to communicate with your GSM Modem?

Basically the software will be run on a PC that is connected to the GSM Modem and the software will download the sms immediately after each sms is received and the software will then store the sms into a database.

How would the software communicate with the GSM Modem to perform the sms download? Is it through an API that you will provide or is it through issuing of the AT Commands?

Is it also possible for the software to be written in such a way that it can also send sms out through your GSM Modem?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Regards,
Alex
alexanderlim
Greenhorn

Re: Write custom software/program to communicate with GSM Mo

Postby ober » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:57 am

Hi, actually our support team do received your email and replied on 19th April 2011. Here is the reply message:
Yes, you are able to interface the GSM modem to computer and the software can be any software that can access to COM Port (Serial Port).

We do not provide GUI or API as the GSM is AT command base. You will need to develop the software to communicate with GSM modem through AT command.

The GSM modem is able to receive and send SMS.

If you have further inquiry, please do discuss in our technical forum as there are more technical members to give opinions and more can benefit from the discussion.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby alexanderlim » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:31 am

Hi Ober,

Thanks for your reply. There must be something wrong with my mail server as I did not receive your email either in inbox or in junk. Possibly the email got filtered at the mail server level. But whatever is the case, my apologies.

Thanks again for your information. It is clearer now.

Regards,
Alex
alexanderlim
Greenhorn

Postby shahrul » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:52 am

You can send and receive serial AT Command from Visual Basic, like you send and receive using Hyperterminal.
shahrul
Professional

Postby robosang » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:17 pm

Sure that can be done, as long as the GSM can be interface with computer and there is a method/programming language to access/manipulate the interface, you can do many stuff.
robosang
Expert

Return to Wireless Device