XBee can't communicate with X-CTU but transmits data

Bluetooth, XBee, RF......

XBee can't communicate with X-CTU but transmits data

Postby saint89 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:22 am

i have exactly follow the exact steps in project 14 provided by cytron.

transmitter = xbee series1 on shield attached to arduino
receiver = skxbee series1

i have already programmed the transmitter with DL = 1000 and MY = 1001, and the receiver vice versa.
before programming this, i put the jumper in usb mode and wired the reset to ground instead of removing the ATMEL chip.
when tested by typing at the terminal inside xctu, both transceiver acted as they were supposed to be. (e.g type 123 at transmitter in blue colour, 123 can be seen at receiver in red.)

the thing is, when the temperature circuit is connected to the arduino, the xbee suddenly could connect to xctu (modem cant be recognized by xctu), but continously transmit data inside the terminal at the transmitter side, BUT (of of course) cant be detected at the receiver. i have already put the jumper in xbee mode when try to transmit. and remove the reset to ground connection.

can somebody help me ? i need solution ASAP ! gladly appreciate any help ! (both xbee version 10EC in xctu )
saint89
Freshie

Re: XBee can't communicate with X-CTU but transmits data

Postby hyng » Fri May 18, 2012 5:06 pm

So the problem occurs when your temperature circuit is connect to Arduino? If you detach the circuit from arduino, will it back to normal?
hyng

Postby saint89 » Fri May 18, 2012 5:12 pm

yes but only if i connect the jumper from reset to GRD, otherwise it wont detect the modem. i tried many ways to troubleshoot this problem for many days but to no avail. does this considered as bricked ? my xbee is currently at version 10EC and could not be updated to 10ED while my skxbee is already at 10ED. please help :cry:

if i connect the temperature circuit back to arduino with the jumper back to xbee and start xctu, i'll get this query, "Communication with Modem" OK "Modem Type"=Name unknown (ID=429496724866984) "Modem firmware version= "
then xctu cannot read my module and wireless transmitting cant take place. i have try the unbrick method and fail.

i'm almost pass my due date for submitting my project. what should i do ? again, please help :cry:
saint89
Freshie

Postby saint89 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:05 pm

no solution ? anyone ? :|
saint89
Freshie

Postby robosang » Sat May 19, 2012 7:42 am

you do this when it near to your due date? This should have been completed early, not last minutes.

I have never use XBee module with Arduino shield. Not sure how is the connection, but I believe you will need to configure some of the jumpers because the Atmega chip and XBee is using the same UART pin from USB to UART converter chip, and you will need to connect the XBee UART to Atmega UART after loading program.

There are a few steps you can try to verify your hardware and program:
1. Load the program in to arduino main board, connect the temperature sensor, open serial monitor. Did you see message send from your arduino to computer?
2. Connect Xbee and Xbee shield, configure the connection so the XBee connect to computer, open the X-CTU (close the Arduino serial monitor), test the modem and go to Terminal tab. Type something, did you get message you typed on the other SKXbee (should show in another computer X-CTU).
3. If the above works fine, connect the Xbee shield so the XBee connect to Arduino UART. It should works.
robosang
Expert

Postby saint89 » Sat May 19, 2012 10:14 pm

robosang WROTE:you do this when it near to your due date? This should have been completed early, not last minutes.

I have never use XBee module with Arduino shield. Not sure how is the connection, but I believe you will need to configure some of the jumpers because the Atmega chip and XBee is using the same UART pin from USB to UART converter chip, and you will need to connect the XBee UART to Atmega UART after loading program.

There are a few steps you can try to verify your hardware and program:
1. Load the program in to arduino main board, connect the temperature sensor, open serial monitor. Did you see message send from your arduino to computer?
2. Connect Xbee and Xbee shield, configure the connection so the XBee connect to computer, open the X-CTU (close the Arduino serial monitor), test the modem and go to Terminal tab. Type something, did you get message you typed on the other SKXbee (should show in another computer X-CTU).
3. If the above works fine, connect the Xbee shield so the XBee connect to Arduino UART. It should works.

its not that i tried to do it to the last minute, i'd already configured both xbee months ago, after tested the when i typed smth at transmitter, the receiver received it. but i didnt test it with the pulse rate circuit i'd just finished constructing it. i didnt know such error would arise in the first place. thats why i'm worried sick right now.

anyway what do you mean by no2? connect xbee and xbee shield w/o connect it to arduino first ? i didnt get the grasp of connecting it to computer w/o arduino. please do enlighten me.

i did the project 14 and if i programmed the arduino with the test xbee code i.e

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop()
{
Serial.print('H');
delay(1000);
Serial.print('L');
delay(1000);
}

the xbee did does the transmission i.e HLHLHL is transmitted at the receiver. but the moment i attached the temperature circuit and powered it, nothing was transmitted except for continously dot dot dot (00 in hex). i cant figure out which part is wrong. :(
saint89
Freshie

Postby yonghui » Tue May 22, 2012 9:27 am

hi

can u pls upload a schematic of ur connection between all those boards?
can imagine how is the connection.

regards,
yh
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Postby ober » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:58 am

Not sure this reply is still in time. Anyway, it will be good if you could share the connection/interface/schematic of your project, also the code. I believe this is not the problem of XBee module, it should be the program.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Return to Wireless Device