Interfacing BlueBee + SeeedStudio Relay Shield

Bluetooth, XBee, RF......

Interfacing BlueBee + SeeedStudio Relay Shield

Postby Nilam » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:48 pm

Hello, I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this question.

I have a BlueBee and a Seeed Studio Relay Shield (http://seeedstudio.com/wiki/Relay_Shield_V1.0#With_Arduino.2FSeeeduino) which provides an Xbee interface to my Arduino Uno device.

Unfortunately, the sample code on their site is specifically for the Seeed model of bluetooth shield, fails to communicate correctly over the protocol, and I can't seem to find any code specifically for Arduino + BlueBee to handle my serial communications through a Bluetooth protocol. Is there somewhere particularly obvious that I've simply failed to look? I've seen the tutorial at http://tutorial.cytron.com.my/2011/08/13/getting-started-with-bluetooth-bee/, and neither the page nor the sample code provided seems relevant to my Arduino Uno. Am I mistaken? Google results for variations on 'bluebee arduino' have been similarly unhelpful, and most of the threads I've read on the site here seem to have been written by those who would not post HOW they came to their solution.

To elaborate on my master setup: I'm running a Fedora Core 17 install, and the device is paired through the pydbus and pybluez interfaces. I can post the code I'm using if necessary, but don't want to unnecessarily clutter things.

I can get the device to at least Connection Mode, but do not know if the device can receive data in this mode, or what steps beyond requesting pairing with the passkey 1234 would be required.
Nilam
Greenhorn

Re: Interfacing BlueBee + SeeedStudio Relay Shield

Postby robosang » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:15 pm

Not familiar with the seeed studio shield, but the BlueBee is basically wireless UART. Once it connected, it become transparent UART link.

You have to check whether the shield is using UART link, or it is using I/O directly from the Bluetooth module to control the relay. As far as I know, the BlueBee from Cytron does not provide direct IO control, it is simply a UART Bluetooth wireless link.
robosang
Expert

Re: Interfacing BlueBee + SeeedStudio Relay Shield

Postby Nilam » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:31 am

Thank you for the prompt reply. Upon further analysis of the relay shield in question, it would seem the Rx and Tx are tied to No Carry, which would explain why the device will not operate as provided. It may be possible to tie them together manually, but it's good to know my problem is not in software.

Thanks again.
Nilam
Greenhorn

Return to Wireless Device