Low power setup for RF-TX-315 based sensors

Bluetooth, XBee, RF......

Low power setup for RF-TX-315 based sensors

Postby RonM » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:29 pm

I would like to wirelessly 'connect' several sensors inside and outside the house with the RF-TX-315 modules. These remote sensors should be battery operated and I am concerned about the power usage (they should last for months or even a year). Since the module sends a lot of noise when not actively sending alternating '0's and '1's (as per your note) I am thinking about a way to 'shutdown' the module and only let it transmit data for a short period of time every now and then. By making the time between transmissions random there should be minimal collision between sensors sending their measured data to a receiving device (Arduino based).

Before figuring it all out myself, I wanted to check if there is any experience with this kind of setup. BTW, I will be using a simple PIC and the PT-2262 or similar for encoding. One way would be to have the PIC switch the power for the TX module, but I am not sure about possible side effects and whether there are simpler ways to put the radio in low power/sleep mode.
RonM
Greenhorn

Re: Low power setup for RF-TX-315 based sensors

Postby robosang » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:01 am

The sensor itself will consume power 8-) Not sure what type of sensor you are using, but there are many methods to do it.

1. microcontroller can enter sleep mode and wake up sometime to activate sensor and response, of course it will control the transmitter too.

2. Only sensor is powered and active and when detection happen, it wakes up whole system and microcontroller send data to transmitter.

3. microcontroller is sleep and sensor is active, sensor sense thing, wake up microcontroller and perform task.

4. more...

Many possibles combination, but depends on your sensor and transmitter capabilities.
robosang
Expert

Re: Low power setup for RF-TX-315 based sensors

Postby RonM » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:03 pm

Thanks, I understand these options. My main concern is triggered by the remark made elsewhere that the RF-TX-315 module will generate a lot of (RF) noise when the input is not alternating between 0 and 1. When the microcontroller is in low power/sleep mode it will not send data to the RF-TX-315 module which is still connected to Vcc and GND, and therefore probably sending noise (at the expense of battery charge).
My concern is not with the sensor or the microcontroller, but with the TX module.
RonM
Greenhorn

Return to Wireless Device