How to use ESP8266 Wifi Module

Bluetooth, XBee, RF......

How to use ESP8266 Wifi Module

Postby ngken92 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:16 pm

Hi everyone. May I know know to sent data from arduino uno to website with the use of ESP8266 wifi module? How can we design the website? Can anyone told me some brief ideas or some easy examples ?
ngken92
Greenhorn

Re: How to use ESP8266 Wifi Module

Postby bengchet » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:16 pm

Hi ngken92,

Can you share with us about your progress of setup arduino uno together with ESP8266? So we can provide guidance either on hardware setup or software or both.

Here is the general idea:
Hardware setup
UNO --- ESP8266
D3 ----- RX
D2 ----- TX
GND --- GND
3.3V --- VCC
3.3V --- CH_PD

It is better if you can provide external 3.3V power supply instead of 3.3V from Arduino board. You can do this by using 3V3 voltage regulator to regulate 5V from Arduino to 3V3. It is also advisable to put an electrolytic capacitor 470uF-1000uF between 3.3V and GND for more stable performance.

Software
You can first refer to this link for coding. The idea is use SoftwareSerial library to send AT commands to ESP8266 from Arduino Uno to carry out operations like setup a simple server, sending data to website etc.

If you wish to test the module if it is working, you can try this link. This link provides some guidance on send AT commands to ESP8266 using serial monitor. The only difference is RX of ESP8266 is connected to RX of Arduino Uno and TX to TX. You can have a look :)

Have fun learning and thanks!
bengchet

Postby ngken92 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:08 am

Thanks bengchet for ur guide. I have successfully communicate my esp8266 module with arduino. It working when i sent some AT commands. It really good and great.

Thanks a lot.
ngken92
Greenhorn

Postby ytphua » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:53 am

Hi,
I try to follow the instruction but when sent AT command no respond even I tried to change the baud rate. Please advise.
ytphua
Freshie

Postby bengchet » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:10 pm

Hi,

I really wanna help ya but this forum doesn't allow me to hack your laptop webcam and look at your hardware setup directly!!

Just joking :lol: Please attach some hardware photos and also some test results screenshots for easier and faster troubleshooting. One statement doesn't help much and it still makes me feel need to imagine of thousands of possibilites for your case (which eventually will make my head blow). :lol:
bengchet

Postby ytphua » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:36 pm

Hi BengChet,
I had gave up the trying that. I gotten the Cytron shield-esp-wifi. I stack up the shield to the CT-UNO, then, I configure the ultrasonic sensor for distance detection using

pin 13 - trigger
pin 14 - echo
pin 11 - LED out of range
pint 12 - LED in range

But it don't seems to work and it kept showing out of range. Please advise. Thanks in advance.
ytphua
Freshie

Postby bengchet » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:41 am

Hi,

Few things need to clarify:
1. Is the shield working properly with provided examples like CytronWiFiDemo without installation of sensor?
2. From the pinout you have shown, few questions pop out:
- Is it necessary to use 2 pins for showing LED in range and LED out of range? Normally we can use 1 pin for the indicator. It is in range, LED is turned on, otherwise it is off.
- pin 14 is equivalent to analog pin A0 on CT-UNO. Are you sure you have made correct connection by connecting echo pin to A0? Because normally user will choose to use 2 pins which are near to each other for simpler connection.

(That's why I mentioned that a few photos of hardware setup will come in handy! ;) )

Suggestions:
- testing ultrasonic sensor alone with CT-UNO, i.e. without plug in WiFi shield. This is to make sure your ultrasensor and coding are working properly. By the way you can check for this tutorial.
- If you have successfully setup the sensor, then you can try adding WiFi shield and integrate WiFi coding into the sketch. As long as you uses pins other than pins for LED and ultrasonic sensor, such as pin 2 and 3, it should be fine.
bengchet

Postby ytphua » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:32 am

Hi BengChet,
I had tried by using the sensor direct connection to the CT-Uno board and it works fine. But when I plug it through the ESP shield, it is not working. My circuit is as image attached.
P_20160202_102527.jpg
ytphua
Freshie

Postby Apis210 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:12 pm

Hi. What is power supply that you used for your Ct-UNO? From USB or adapter? Try to use adapter instead of USB. Maybe use USB will not provide enough power to the shield and sensor.
Apis210
Apprentice

Postby bengchet » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:54 am

Hi,

The connections seem to be okay at the moment. Like Apis said, the power supply can be one of the factors. Try use 12V 2A adapter as Apis suggested.

Another factor might be your integration of ultrasonic sensor coding into WiFi sketch. May be you can specify more in details on how the system is not working properly. The reading is not correct? The LED is not responding? The value doesn't show on HTML page? Or the whole thing doesn't work out with your ultrasonic sensor coding (without WiFi coding yet) when WiFi shield is stacked?

Feel free to attach your coding here for troubleshooting.

Thanks.
bengchet

Next

Return to Wireless Device