Need help for Bluebee module

Bluetooth, XBee, RF......

Need help for Bluebee module

Postby hiphop9686 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:35 am

I would like to connect my Bluebee 4.0 module with arduino without XBEE shield.

How do I make the connections for the module with arduino microcontroller?

How about the UART connection? How do i select it?
hiphop9686
Apprentice

Re: Need help for Bluebee module

Postby bengchet » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:55 am

Hi,

To communicate with BlueBee 4.0 module with Arduino, UART is used. For the connections, you will need to use 5V I/O interface for simplicity. Following are the connections.

BlueBee 4.0 | Arduino
VCC -> 5V
GND -> GND
RX -> TX of Arduino
TX -> RX of Arduino

TX and RX Arduino pin connections depend on your program. If you are using hardware Serial library, TX Arduino will be pin 1 and RX Arduino will be pin 0 as labelled. For SoftwareSerial library, you can refer to this link for RX and TX pin selections. For Arduino Uno, you can use pin 2 as RX Arduino and pin 3 as TX Arduino.

If you wish to test the module with Arduino Serial Monitor, you can connect BlueBee TX to pin 1 and BlueBee RX to pin 0. Again you can refer to this link -> AT Test for module testing.

Hope it helps! :D
bengchet

Postby hiphop9686 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:37 pm

Thank you for your advises !

I will try the connection on Arduino Uno.

thanks again ! :)
hiphop9686
Apprentice

Postby hiphop9686 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:39 pm

Hey Bengchet,

Previously from your reply, you said that "For Arduino Uno, you can use pin 2 as RX Arduino and pin 3 as TX Arduino."

Is it means for software serial library ? By the way i am using arduino uno microcontroller.

If so, can i test the AT command for bluebee module with the connections of pin 2 as RX Arduino and pin 3 as TX Arduino ?
hiphop9686
Apprentice

Postby bengchet » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:55 am

Hi,

Yes it is for SoftwareSerial library. You can refer to this link for more info on how to implement this library.
Attached is also a small coding for you to send AT command via Serial monitor but BlueBee module is using SoftwareSerial library to do the work. Try to understand it and implement it into your application.

Have fun learning! :D
Attachments
Serial_Passthrough.rar
(454 Bytes) Downloaded 285 times
bengchet

Postby hiphop9686 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi,

Thank you for the advises again !

Appreciate much !
hiphop9686
Apprentice

Postby hiphop9686 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:03 pm

Hi Bengchet,

Sorry to interrupt you again.

May I ask what is the List of API that used to communicate Bluebee with Arduino in https://github.com/CytronTechnologies/Cytron_BlueBee4.0_AT_Library

Is it used to program the arduino that communicate with Bluebee?

And 1 more question, can I used Bluebee connected with Arduino to periodically get RSSI value that paired with another device?
hiphop9686
Apprentice

Postby bengchet » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:43 am

Hi,

Yes it is to program the Arduino that communicate with BlueBee. Feel free to try the functions listed in your coding. Yes you can use existing library or own coding to send AT command to get RSSI value periodically from connected device.

You can try the example sketches before starting your application. Refer to this link -> Communication between computer and Microcontroller to have an idea how you use BlueBee 4.0 with Arduino.

Feel free to explore and have fun learning! ;)
bengchet

Postby hiphop9686 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:42 am

Hi,

I did try the AT command. It is working well.

However, when I paired the Bluebee with smartphone using the app provided in BLE mode. The app not responding as soon as i keyed in the pin which is 000000. If i paired using SPP mode, the app working properly. I also tried using my laptop to connect the BLE mode, however it is not success. Do i need additional instruction to pair BLE mode?
hiphop9686
Apprentice

Postby Nurul.Syuhada » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:11 pm

Hi. FYI, protocol for connecting BLE and EDR devices is different. The smartphone apps you installed only supports for EDR mode, which means you can only connect BlueBee 4.0 in EDR mode. IF you wish to connect BlueBee 4.0 in BLE mode, you have to consider 2 things:

1)Does your smartphone bluetooth support BLE devices?
2)You have to install the apps which supports BLE protocol if your smartphone does support BLE devices.

However if your smartphone is IOS, BLE is supported. For android, we will have to see your bluetooth specification and also operating system (Android 4.3 and above). Note that even your android OS is 4.3 and above, if your smartphone bluetooth doesn't support BLE, you can't connect BLE devices as well. May I ask which brand of smartphone you use? So far we have tested the android phones that support BLE are MI and Asus.

This applies to laptop as well, you will have to check your bluetooth specification for laptop.

However, generally BLE mode of this module is used when 2 modules are communicating with each other (BlueBee 4.0 and BlueBee 4.0) or when you are using IOS, because IOS supports BLE. Thanks. :)
Nurul.Syuhada

Next

Return to Wireless Device