ESP 8266 UART

Bluetooth, XBee, RF......

ESP 8266 UART

Postby Leom » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:54 pm

Hi there,

I have question about the esp8266 can I direct connect directly wifi from laptop to use as serial link?
Do i need any virtual comp port software for this?
I want to use esp8266 to stream serial data for SC16A servo controller board from laptop.
Any help please?
Leom
Novice

Re: ESP 8266 UART

Postby bengchet » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:05 pm

Hi,

The simplest way to do it is using telnet.

First you can upload the sketch WiFiTelnetToSerial.ino to ESP8266. If you are familiar with programming ESP8266 with Arduino, the sketch can be found in examples. If not, you can refer to this website for setup. Make sure ESP8266 is connected to your desired network.

The software you can install on your laptop is PuTTY. Make sure PC is connected to the same network as ESP8266. Then choose telnet, enter the IP address of your ESP8266 then connect. Once connected, open Arduino Serial monitor on your laptop, type something, the telnet screen should show the same thing that you have typed.

The sketch WiFiTelnetToSerial.ino can be modified so ESP8266 obtain the reading from servo controller then you can view the reading from telnet. The concept is basically the same.

Have fun. :)
bengchet

Postby Leom » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:57 pm

Hi,

thanks for the advice.
But I never use Arduino before. Its million miles away for me to learn all just to modify the ESP8266. :cry:
I need a faster way to do it.

I heard that ESP 8266 can be use as UART directly from fresh power up.
What am I thinking is can I do: Laptop -> USB to Serial convertor-> ESP 8266 -> Wi-Fi -> mobile ESP 8266 -> serial data feed to servo controller.

Is this way work more easily?
Leom
Novice

Postby bengchet » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:32 pm

I heard that ESP 8266 can be use as UART directly from fresh power up.

This information is misleading. New ESP8266 comes with a firmware that we can communicate with ESP8266 and tell it what to do using UART communication, not ESP8266 can be used as UART link by itself. If you want to make ESP8266 act like a wireless medium to transfer data from laptop to servo controller, you will need a new customised firmware installed to ESP8266, which can be done by Arduino.

For your case, if you wish just to transfer data between laptop and servo controller wirelessly, and the range is not too far, bluetooth is enough to do so. In Bluetooth case, Arduino programming is not needed.

Laptop -> Laptop bluetooth -> Wireless -> mobile Bluetooth -> serial data feed to servo controller.

To setup both bluetooth modules to enable pairing and automatic connect once power up, software such as PuttY and USB-UART converter are only the tools you need.
bengchet

Postby Leom » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:49 pm

Icic. Actually I did used Xbee Bluetooth as wireless data stream to servo controller before. It actually success, but I facing one problem which is the phase seems some time will out sync, (glitch on servo) then come back life. Just for your information the data stream is live continuously, and is servo no & servo position string. Is consider raw data. If i used it as higher level command i think bluetooth should be enough to do that.

Since you say this I remind one thing, I only connect incoming signal to servo controller, not both TX & RX from Xbee to servo controller. Will this cause my problem?
Leom
Novice

Postby bengchet » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:49 pm

Hi,

RX from servo controller connected to TX from Bluetooth module will be sufficient if you only need to feed the data to the controller from the laptop.
bengchet

Postby Leom » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:20 pm

Hi,
thanks for the info. I just went back to the Xbee bluetooth as UART receiver to test again. Finally found the root-cause.
It is not because bluetooth data streaming problem, it is actually cause by servo noise that keep reset the servo controller itself.
will open another topic talk about this.

thanks
Leom
Novice

Return to Wireless Device