LoRaWan and LoRa Gateway

Bluetooth, XBee, RF......

LoRaWan and LoRa Gateway

Postby kelvinswee94 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:31 pm

hi all, i'm planning to use LoRa technology in My final year project and i am still beginner in LoRa. Here are some of the problems that i faced:
1. is there any LoRa gateway available in Johor Bahru?
2. if i plan to make a LoRa Gateway by myself, is it possible? can i use 'Atilze LoRa Shield+6 months Subscription'(https://www.cytron.io/p-az-loras-001) and connect it with Raspberry pi and make it as a gateway for data collection from my sensor node?
3. or can i just simply use Cyton LoRa-RFM shield for my gateway? but what i noticed is that LoRa RFM shield doesn't contain LoRAWan protocol.

Hope anyone out there can help to solve my problem.
thanks in advanced! :D
kelvinswee94
Novice

Re: LoRaWan and LoRa Gateway

Postby bengchet » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:59 am

Hi,

1. Very unlikely to know.
2. Atilze LoRa Shield can't be made as a gateway. It can only be sensor node.
3. It is possible to use Cytron LoRa-RFM shield for building single channel gateway, you can start reading here. But it requires way more troubleshooting and struggle during the way to setup. Dragino shield in the tutorial can be replaced with Cytron LoRa-RFM shield

Easier but more costly approach is using 915MHz LoRa Gateway Raspberry Pi Hat. It is directly mounted on RPi3 and there are tutorials how to setup it quick and for your application. The cost is higher, but it is not meant for personal use only. It is LoRaWAN compliant, for public use and for those who want to try out LoRa technology in your area, anyone can use, and it can be used in the future as well.
bengchet

Postby Sukuri » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:12 am

Hi,

I've bought LoRa 915MHz to set up my gateway, to connect to ttn network, what is the server ip?
Sukuri

Postby ober » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:44 am

Which 915MHz LoRa you get? Is the LoRa gateway HAT: https://www.cytron.io/p-hat-lrgw-915?

Under the product page, there are some tutorials, maybe can check out those links.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby kelvinswee94 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:47 pm

Sukuri WROTE:Hi,

I've bought LoRa 915MHz to set up my gateway, to connect to ttn network, what is the server ip?

hi, may i know which LoRa 915MHz you bought? can you provide the link? thanks
kelvinswee94
Novice

Postby ArthurWong » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:44 pm

we bought a 915Mhz LORA Gateway https://www.cytron.io/p-hat-lrgw-915....we fixed at raspberry PI (Raasbian OS) . Fixed the Lora gateway on top of it. Power up the raspberry pi and then put the micro sd connect to PC. When we try to link it together by using PUTTY software. it stuck at the black blank screen and we cant type anything. Please help us CYTRON
ArthurWong

Postby ArthurWong » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:46 pm

This is the blank screen
Attachments
blank.jpg
ArthurWong

Postby bengchet » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:14 am

Hi,

Which raspbian OS you are using? Is it downloaded from official website or from here?

If it is from official website, it will not be working because UART on Raspberry Pi is disabled by default.

The link mentioned above is raspbian OS Jessie with gateway softwared pre-installed and UART enabled for debugging. Let's see if changing raspbian OS fix the issue.
bengchet

Postby kelvinswee94 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:19 pm

bengchet WROTE:Hi,

1. Very unlikely to know.
2. Atilze LoRa Shield can't be made as a gateway. It can only be sensor node.
3. It is possible to use Cytron LoRa-RFM shield for building single channel gateway, you can start reading here. But it requires way more troubleshooting and struggle during the way to setup. Dragino shield in the tutorial can be replaced with Cytron LoRa-RFM shield

Easier but more costly approach is using 915MHz LoRa Gateway Raspberry Pi Hat. It is directly mounted on RPi3 and there are tutorials how to setup it quick and for your application. The cost is higher, but it is not meant for personal use only. It is LoRaWAN compliant, for public use and for those who want to try out LoRa technology in your area, anyone can use, and it can be used in the future as well.

hi bengchet, do you have any tutorial on how to setup LoRa RFM shield as a gateway with raspberry pi?
thanks
kelvinswee94
Novice

Postby bengchet » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi,

No, at the time being we are not preparing the tutorial yet. However, you can start reading from previous link I provided here. It is a good start to setup LoRa RFM shield with raspberry pi as single channel Gateway (not LoRaWAN compliant but useful for testing).

Hope it helps, thanks!
bengchet

Next

Return to Wireless Device