RFID Reader Connection Problem!!

RFID reader, Reader/Writer, Tag.....

RFID Reader Connection Problem!!

Postby eddson » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:36 pm

i modify the connector of RFID reader by connecting the PS2 output to a male PS2 connector. It was then connected to the PIC board. However, the RFID reader doesnt working. Can you teach me how to do the connection? (The RFID was working fine if i put the PS2 output to desktop port)

I'm told that I dont have to cut the reader's PS2 connector and still make it work. Can someone show me how to do the connection?

Thanks in advance
eddson

Re: RFID Reader Connection Problem!!

Postby A380 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:57 pm

This site may help you. Good Luck!

http://pinouts.ru/Inputs/KeyboardPC6_pinout.shtml
A380
Discoverer

Postby eddson » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:00 am

I dint want to cut my RFID reader connector so I cut the PS2 connector of my Keyboard and connect it instead.

The reader is ON but no data is displayed on the LCD.

Do I need to connect the DB9 to a PC?? Please help. My project due date is coming soon. Thanks.
eddson

Postby A380 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:01 pm

Can you describe more detail about your project? You want to display the output on LCD monitor or 16x2 LCD? what kind of RFID you bought? Are you using Cytron DIY PR?
A380
Discoverer

Postby eddson » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:28 pm

I bought the DIY PR8. I want to display output on my 16x2 LCD and also my PC monitor. This is possible right?

My project is to come out with a RFID system which can be used for animal tracking, document tracking and so on. So I've done my own coding to switch modes using the 2 buttons provided in the PR8.

Now I need to know how to make the connection. I'm using VisualBasic as interface on my computer. Can help?
eddson

Postby A380 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:31 pm

eddson WROTE:
Now I need to know how to make the connection. I'm using VisualBasic as interface on my computer. Can help?

You have asked this question before, right? I have answered there, please refer to
http://forum.cytron.com.my/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=210
A380
Discoverer

Postby eddson » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:10 pm

Yes, I have asked before.

But right now, my reader cant even send data to my PIC.
When I scan my tag on the reader, there's a beep sound. But my LCD 16x2 is still showing "Place tag on the reader". Why is this happening?

Do I need to connect DB9 to anywhere? Right now I'm connecting the PS2 cable only.
And my extension PS2 wiring is like this :

Green +CLK
White Data
Yellow GND
Red Vcc

I am connecting the white to RC7.
Fail. I tried connecting green to RC7. Fail also.
Do I need to cut the reader's connector? Is my PS2 extension causing problem?
eddson

Postby sich » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:35 pm

I think you've misunderstood the function of the two connectors - DB9 & PS2. For this RFID card reader, power is supplied through PS2 and signal is connected using DB9.

Try to think of this: If you only connect PS2 to your PC, it won't work isn't it? Its serial communication only work with DB9. So you have to connect the serial pins of the DB9 to your circuit. That should have been mentioned in the detailed description of that DIY set.

P.S. I'm not sure if there's any device other than mouse and keyboard can use PS2 protocol to communicate :?:
~> How to ask QUESTIONS the SMART way in FORUM? <~
sich

Postby eddson » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:20 pm

No the detailed description dint say anything about connecting DB9. It only says that I have to cut the reader's connector. I assume is the main wire of the reader?

If i dont cut, do I connect the Tx pin of DB9 to RC7 only? What about Rx pin of DB9?
eddson

Postby A380 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:05 pm

This is the IDR232 user manual, http://www.cytron.com.my/datasheet/RFID/IDR232_Manual.pdf

Before modification, PS connector is used to get the 5V from PC to supply IDR232 only while the DB9 connector is actually communicate with PC.

Logic for PC COM port is 12V and -12V but logic for PIC is 0V and 5V (TTL). There has a simple circuit on PR8 which convert this logic to TTL logic.

In my opinion, you might no need to cut down the DB9. You just extend the green wire between DB9 and IDR232 to RC7(PIC), red wire to 5V and brown wire to GND of your PR8 board. Like this

Good Luck!
A380
Discoverer

Next

Return to RFID