RFID reader wire connection

RFID reader, Reader/Writer, Tag.....

RFID reader wire connection

Postby kennykuan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:09 pm

There are 7 diff colour wire in the reader after I stripped out the PS2 female connector.
My question is which 4 wires I need to use to connect to my PCB of PR8 kit that i bought.
Which wire is for Vcc, Gnd, Data and NC?
Total colour available is red, yellow, blue, green, purple, white and black.
kennykuan
Freshie

Re: RFID reader wire connection

Postby ober » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:30 pm

I thought you should be stripping the wire of DB9 connector instead of PS2 site. Anyway have you refer to the latest PR8 Detail Description? We should have updated the wiring color.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby kennykuan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:58 am

No, I stripped the PS2 side, that why i got 7 wires out of there!
If i stripped the serial port, i would have 9 wires out of there.
My detail-description document is the latest, so can u tell me now, out of 7 colours, which 4 i should use for the PR8?
OR do u have the datasheet from the manufacturer?
kennykuan
Freshie

Postby ober » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:23 pm

If you refer to the Details Description of PR8, page 2 and 3, it did list out the color that have connection, also show the pin assignment, just follow the table to make connection. BTW, you should be stripping the DB9 site, as we do not test the PS2 connection before.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby kennykuan » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:19 pm

Table 1:
Yellow RX NC
Green TX RC7
Red Vcc (5V) 5V
Brown Ground GND
Shielding wire NC NC

Table 2:
Green RX NC
White TX RC7
Red Vcc (5V) 5V
Black Ground GND
Blue NC NC

There are 2 tables provided in page3, so which one should i follows. Because after i stripped, it has 7 colours. I confused. For example, green colour is TX in table 1 but green colour is RX in table 2. So, do u get my i meant?
Because 7 wires are there, so it matches all the colours in table 1 and table 2, so i confused and dont know which one i should follows!
So, can u let me know here which 4 i should connect to the PCB without asking me to refer the PR8_DD again because the document is very confusing!
The 7 colour wires i have after strip is red, yellow,blue, green,purple, black and white!
Thank You and waiting for ur reply urgently!!!
kennykuan
Freshie

Postby yonghui » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:29 am

hi,
from the user manual, wires of DB9 are for data communication which the TX and RX pin connect, and ps2 is for supply of power.

yh
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Postby joliza » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:42 am

I have stripped PS2 wire.Yes, it has 7 color of wires. But I have 1 question, why you want to cut PS2 cable and connect to PR8 PCB. From the Details Description, we use DB9 cable to connect to PR8 board. I have also stripped DB9 cable and notice it has only 4/5 color of wires(blue,red,green,white and black). Thus, please follow table 2 to create the interface to PCB.

If you stripped PS2 cable, you can't use those cables for interface to PR8 PCB board, because it is to provide power only, not communication. As mentioned by yh, the User's Manual did stated that. You are advised to use the cable between DB9 and RFID reader to create interface to PR8 because we tested that part.
joliza
Novice

Postby kennykuan » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Thanks for that. But i cannot cut the wire between the reader and serial port because i need to maintain it for interfacing to the PC. I plan to connect a serial connector to the serial port, then the other end of serial connector i will connect to PCB for communication!
Can u pls provide the Pin function in DB9 pins instead of colour code in PR8_DD.
For example, TX is white colour wire, wat is the pin number of TX in term of DB9 pin connection, in term of 9 pin in DB9.
Pls provide the four connection below:
RX
TX
VCC(5V)
Ground.
kennykuan
Freshie

Postby joliza » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:49 pm

You want the reader send the tag ID received to PIC and also to computer at the same time.I have check the PS2 connector and the connector is for power supply only. It's only provide 5V and GND. No communication is connected between DB9 and PS2 female connector. So you cannot use PS2 female connector to connect to PCB. Maybe you may use this suggestion:

You need to stripped DB9 connector and follow the connection in Details description. Then connect Data and GND pin from RFID connector at PCB to DB9 connector.
joliza
Novice

Postby sich » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:42 am

You can just search for serial port pinout or DB9 pinout for the pin number. But make sure you are following the correct port (male-PC & female-device).
~> How to ask QUESTIONS the SMART way in FORUM? <~
sich

Return to RFID