Building an RFID reader

RFID reader, Reader/Writer, Tag.....

Building an RFID reader

Postby Ville » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:57 am

hi
i'm about to build a proximity rfid reader..
i found that most of the design, after filtering process, the filtered signal will send through a microcontroller to produce readable data for pc to read ie ASCII code tag ID via rs232.
Is it possible to produce the data without using a microcontroller ie by just using ICs such as comparator,converter etc.

thanks! :D :D

Re: Building an RFID reader

Postby mec » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:05 pm

use uC make ur life easier :lol:
my fyp also involving uC.
mec

Postby robosang » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:36 pm

Yup, totally agree with mec! If logic can be the solution, those manufacturer used it already. :lol:
robosang
Expert

Postby Ville » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:17 pm

using microC u nid a programmer and a debugger.. which is $$$$$$$$ =.="

Postby yonghui » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:08 am

using microC u nid a programmer and a debugger.. which is $$$$$$$$ =.="

hi,

u can get a microcontroller for less than RM20:
http://www.cytron.com.my/listProductGroup.php?pid=MBMqFxwCFzIHMRELET0RH46RTUjD4GjgQ3Qo3xM5dhU=

it is actually not very expensive and a lot easier. just that microcontroller requires some basic knowledge of programming languange such as C or assembly. cytron is providing free open source code for reference. u can freely modify it into yours.
compilers are also free, u can use compiler from microchip, hitech etc.
hardware debugger is not needed in simple project,
will just need a programmer:
http://www.cytron.com.my/viewProduct.php?pid=OScBAAUBOjIpFBo6Bi4oMOw6JWwW/4I2GHTHh1Seapg=

without microcontroller, it is hard for u to process the data from RFID.

regards,
yh
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Postby Ville » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:38 pm

hi again ^^

i'm now on microC stage.. but i need to know more basic concepts about PIC before i proceed..

1.if i wanna use PIc's comparator, is it correct to just feed the input data to i/o pin and the output data will be at comparator output pin?

2.the second question, how to decode data using PIC?

3.if i wan to feed output data of PIC to serial port, can i just directly tap it from UART pin or i need to do some programming?

i know the answer may be too long, basic concept and mechnism may be enough (^^)v

Postby kl84 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:33 am

Basically, all ur questions involve programming...u need to configure the PIC to what u want it to do in programming.
kl84
Amateur

Postby ober » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:01 am

Ville WROTE:1.if i wanna use PIc's comparator, is it correct to just feed the input data to i/o pin and the output data will be at comparator output pin?

2.the second question, how to decode data using PIC?

3.if i wan to feed output data of PIC to serial port, can i just directly tap it from UART pin or i need to do some programming?
(^^)v

1. If you have configured the PIC, simple words: You will still need to write program for PIC to utilize the comparator, most of PIC has 2 comparator and the output can be tied to an I/O pin.

2. decode means? You are using a RFID reader and the reader will send data to you when there is a RFID tag? That's easy as you can refer to several DIY projects of Cytron, which uses RFID reader.

3. Still, you need some programming to enable that.

Do share your project with us. would like to see it.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby Ville » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:01 am

my project is to build rfid based embeded system..what i'm thinking to do is a homemade rfid reader (with some reference of coz =p)

1.i didnt start the implementation yet but i've some design to be considered..
starting with antenna then rectifier circuit then demodulation and filter circuit to get
the modulating signal. Then i considering to decode data using PIC as then i can feed
it through UART for serial port use.

2. there is another alternative which i just use the ready made reader, interface it with
PIC as i want it to have a keypad feature for password. however its quite hard
to intergrate it with software as password and uid parameter need to be considered.
Plus it need 2 UART.

The reason why i dont want to just use the ready made rfid reader and intergrate it with software for alternative 1 is bcoz i really want to get involved with hardware (^^)v

Postby shahrul » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:46 am

Ville WROTE:2. there is another alternative which i just use the ready made reader, interface it with
PIC as i want it to have a keypad feature for password. however its quite hard
to intergrate it with software as password and uid parameter need to be considered.
Plus it need 2 UART.

You just interfacing keypad and rfid, you don't need 2 UART. It's easy, you can manipulate keypad interfacing with the password. No need to much hardware.
shahrul
Professional

Return to RFID