wireless serial adapter interface with rfid

RFID reader, Reader/Writer, Tag.....

wireless serial adapter interface with rfid

Postby cytronix101 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:05 pm

It is possible to connect an rfid into a wireless serial (RS232) adapter that can be used in door lock system so that I can pass the data to the pc wirelessly.
cytronix101
Freshie

Re: wireless serial adapter interface with rfid

Postby shahrul » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:41 pm

cytronix101 WROTE:It is possible to connect an rfid into a wireless serial (RS232) adapter that can be used in door lock system so that I can pass the data to the pc wirelessly.

You can send UART data wirelessly using Xbee. 2 Xbee needed at the transmit and the receive. What UART you send, you will get the same UART data at the receiver.
shahrul
Professional

Postby cytronix101 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestion,so if I used xbee then should I connect it first to max232 ic? because i will used pic16f877a then the rc6 will be the rx so that pin i will connect the rfid data but where should I connect the xbee for wireless connection?
cytronix101
Freshie

Postby shahrul » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:54 pm

cytronix101 WROTE:Thanks for the suggestion,so if I used xbee then should I connect it first to max232 ic? because i will used pic16f877a then the rc6 will be the rx so that pin i will connect the rfid data but where should I connect the xbee for wireless connection?

RFID Reader --> MAX232 --> Xbee ---> [wireless] ---> Xbee --> UART-to-RS232 --> PC
shahrul
Professional

Postby cytronix101 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:02 pm

can you suggest another product aside from xbee? I would like to try a bluetooth rs232 wireless adapter could it possible to apply or a pure rf wireless serial adapter that can be attached to serial port with antenna?
cytronix101
Freshie

Postby ober » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:19 pm

Though we have yet to try XBee or other wireless device for RFID reader, theoretically Bluetooth, XBee, Wifi, RF module can do the work.... but you will have to try it to verify it. Bluetooth is a good option. Try it and share with us.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby robosang » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:04 pm

Bluetooth will require to establish connection as it is connection oriented. This mean the PC need to search for the slave and initiate connection setup for 1st time, and if the pairing is successful the master can further set for auto connect if the slave allow it.

XBee is easier to use because it is not connection oriented. Once the source address and destination address is configured and save in the XBee, every time it is power up, it will be paired accordingly. sending/receiving data will be transparent. But you need to take care of the RS232 and 3.3V interface between the RFID reader and XBee.

RF is possible and low cost solution, but it is exposed to interference from environment 8-) ..... More work to make it stable.

Wifi is too expensive :lol:

2 cents from me
robosang
Expert

Return to RFID