how can i charge a LiPo battery ?

AC-DC Adapter, Transformer, Lipo battery and charger, SLA, Cell battery.....

how can i charge a LiPo battery ?

Postby Light » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:23 am

Hi

I want to use a LiPo battery for my recent project as its cheap and efficient.
the problem is the battery that i found has the following specifications:
7.4V, 800mA, 10 cell
and the LiPo charger i found have the following specifications:
7.4V, 600mA, 2 cell

as you can see, the charger is for 2 cell battery, i dont know if it can be used for the given battery (10 cell )
these are the pictures for the battery and the charger:

please guide me

thank you
Light
Novice

Re: how can i charge a LiPo battery ?

Postby sich » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:55 am

Actually 10C is not referring to 10 cells. I think it means the battery is (or cells are) able to supply a maximum current of 10 times of the capacity continuously without damage. One single LiPo cell rated 3.7V. So a 7.4V LiPo battery has 2 cells. 800mAh means it will supply 800mA for one hour.

The charger should be able to charge that LiPo batt.
~> How to ask QUESTIONS the SMART way in FORUM? <~
sich

Postby choyhong88 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:23 pm

i had post enquiry yesterday:
choyhong88 2012-03-16 23:32:46
Hi, may i know what happens to my LIPO Battery 7.4V 900mAH , it cap at about 3V+ but the charger already indicate it is fully charged.the battery was bought a month ago. i am using 2-3 Cell LIPO Balance Charger [Product Code : LIP-CR-B36AC] to charge this battery.
Admin Reply :
Most likely you have over discharge it. Over-charge or over-discharge will kill Li-po and charger cannot charge it anymore. Each cell in Li-po should be within 2.7V (discharged) and 4.2V (Charged). Two cells of Lipo should have 5.4V when it is discharged. If you have further inquiry, please discuss in our technical forum as this section is for short inquiry, thanks :)

So, may i know the precaution step to be taken to protect my battery. first time charge the battery, and it seem like condemn. waste my money
choyhong88
Novice

Postby robosang » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:50 am

Yup, Li-po is very powerful battery and light in weight! That's is why it is being widely use in RC (Remote Control) game :)

Tough this is powerful, but it is dangerous too. Explosion can happen if you charge it incorrectly. You can refer the Wiki of Lithium-ion polymer battery

It seem what the feedback from Cytron has a point. It is not the charging that kill the battery, at least in your case because you just charge it. But I think you have leave the Li-Po too long and din maintain it, Or it has been discharge too much before you get it :)
robosang
Expert

Return to Power