some question related to PR16 set

LED Blinking, Walking with Cytron Servo, Displaying RFID, Multi-function Mobile Robot......

some question related to PR16 set

Postby KSW » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:23 pm

I have some question to ask for this DIY project set. Let said i want to use PIC16F877A for transmitting board & PIC18F4550 for receiver board...is that possible to do that??? Since the 16F877A is mid range(14bit) microcontroller and 18F4550 is high range(16bit) microcontroller is that possible to do signal transmit and receive with different range microcontroller??

Thank you.^_^
KSW
Novice

Re: some question related to PR16 set

Postby ober » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:24 am

KSW WROTE:I have some question to ask for this DIY project set. Let said i want to use PIC16F877A for transmitting board & PIC18F4550 for receiver board...is that possible to do that??? Since the 16F877A is mid range(14bit) microcontroller and 18F4550 is high range(16bit) microcontroller is that possible to do signal transmit and receive with different range microcontroller??

yes, the 14bit and 16bit is referring to instruction set length, both PIC16 and PIC18 are 8-bit microcontroller. they process 8-bit data. Even the processor is different bit length (8-bit and 16-bit) you still can communicate between each other. Is like computer, they are 64-bit, but we can still interface it with 8-bit microcontroller.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby KSW » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:14 pm

ic...then should i made any changes to the sample code in order i used different microcontroller??? is it just change the PIC type before compile the source code?? or there still need to add some codes to make sure i can transmit and receiver??
Actually i done everything of this PR16 set under breadboard to test whether my RF module set working or not. But now my problem is cannot receiver board cannot receive the signal transmit and update the 7 segment. I'm using MikroC pro as my compiler

PR16 detail i see all already, Please not ask me to refer the PR16 product. i need some pratical troubleshooting for my problem.

Thank You.
KSW
Novice

Postby robosang » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:07 pm

:shock: please don ask me to refer the product? Woh! What a "practical" way to ask for help :lol:.
robosang
Expert

Postby redips_id » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:55 pm

Hi KSW, I have done this project same like you, transmitter using PIC16F877A and receiver using PIC18F4550 right? There have no problem. However I'm using MPLAB and Hi-Tech C Compiler for PIC16F877A and C18 Compiler for PIC18F4550, nevermind. The point is you need to make sure both microcontroller produce the same baud rate. If you don't want to refer PR16, you need to refer PIC18F4550 datasheet, ngeee.. :D
Request for complete solution for FYP? Why don't request for graduation certificate?
redips_id
Discoverer

Postby KSW » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:45 pm

hi redips_id, i have tried to make my own code with both MCU same baud rate and low speed but problem is microcontroller seem like cannot transmit signal to another microcontroller. Hence i tried to construct PR16 and then modified sample code PIC options and download into my PIC....but it seem like not working. So now i dont know whether is my PIC serial port or RF module malfunction. I think sample code from cytron should be no problem.
KSW
Novice

Postby sich » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:13 pm

Yes, sample code from Cytron is fully tested. But for your case, since you're using MikroC and one of your microcontroller is PIC18F, you can't directly use the code provided by Cytron. Refer to the concept and algorithm is more appropriate. I guess you know that, right? Then for PIC16F & 18F, the compilers are different for both Microchip and Hitech. There're lotsa changes to be made. I'm not sure about MikroC. Did you successfully compile the code for both microcontroller?

The fastest way to test your components and modules is by using two PIC16F877A to do the transmit and receive tasks. You may use the sample code provided in this case with the same hardware connection and crystal value. 876A and 877A are identical in most of the specs. If this works, the problem lies only at the 18F microcontroller there, either programming or connection (assumed the chip is in good condition).
~> How to ask QUESTIONS the SMART way in FORUM? <~
sich

Return to DIY Project Set