Fingerprint reader (UART) SN-FPR-UART

Discussion about projects that used PIC Microcontroller, Hardware Interface, Programming Algorithm and etc......

Re: Fingerprint reader (UART) SN-FPR-UART

Postby zhenning » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:36 pm

Marvin_G WROTE:
Marvin_G WROTE:My project involved ARM processor TS-7390 and i wanted to connect this processor with this fingerprint throuh UART port. Is it possible?
yes its possible.

Second is my ARM processor is using Linux debian platform,is it possible to connect it through UART port to the fingerprint reader?
yes, its possible. its easier compared to windows.

how do we control the fingerprint board?
The commands are in the datasheet. To control it in linux, you will need a usb to uart cable. Plug it into your computer or laptop. Do: ls /dev. You should see your uart to usb device. To read from the device use cat. To write to the device use echo.
You need to change the user dialout group:

sudo usermod -a -G tty yourUserName

sudo usermod -a -G dialout yourUserName

Thank you so much for your answer. I'm thinking using UC00A which is the usb-uart converter but it only have female usb port, does it have male usb port? so i can connect the fingerprint to my ARM board. Plus, what do u mean by "you should see your uart to usb device"? do u hv the cmd for both read n write to d device?

zhenning WROTE:I dont think so. You can use a male to female converter or wire.

plus, what do u mean by "you should see your uart to usb device"?
When you plug any device into your computer, you will see the device in the device manager right? In linux, type ls /dev, you should see a list of device connected. It is like your device manager in windows

I will be using UC00B which have male usb port..is it ok? do i need driver for it? if yes, can i use the one in dis website http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm ?[/quote]

Yes, its ok. You dont need any driver for linux. Its already built into the kernel for usb drivers :)
zhenning
Enthusiast

Postby Marvin_G » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:52 pm

Thank you so much zhenning. Have you ever used this type of fingerprint? It does comparison but i don't know how. My method is first take raw data which i gained from this fingerprint and put it in database mysql then scan the same fingerprint and match it with those in database. Can i apply it on this device?
Marvin_G
Apprentice

Postby zhenning » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:22 pm

Marvin_G WROTE:Thank you so much zhenning. Have you ever used this type of fingerprint? It does comparison but i don't know how. My method is first take raw data which i gained from this fingerprint and put it in database mysql then scan the same fingerprint and match it with those in database. Can i apply it on this device?

Nope i havent. I felt that its still very expensive. It is just used to capture the fingerprint and convert to some hex to represent that fingerprint. You can use any microcontroller to read it and store it somewhere and do your manipulations.
zhenning
Enthusiast

Postby shahrul » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:25 pm

Marvin_G WROTE:Thank you so much zhenning. Have you ever used this type of fingerprint? It does comparison but i don't know how. My method is first take raw data which i gained from this fingerprint and put it in database mysql then scan the same fingerprint and match it with those in database. Can i apply it on this device?

You no need to do comparison. All the fingerprint saved in this module, then this module tell you either the fingerprint match or not. Read the datasheet, there is function to match.
shahrul
Professional

Postby Marvin_G » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:55 am

shahrul WROTE:

You no need to do comparison. All the fingerprint saved in this module, then this module tell you either the fingerprint match or not. Read the datasheet, there is function to match.

"this module tell you either the fingerprint match or not"..u mean the device itself will check the current scanned fingerprint whether it match with other fingerprint stored in database inside the device? can it check through other database? such as mysql?
Marvin_G
Apprentice

Postby shahrul » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:17 am

Marvin_G WROTE:"this module tell you either the fingerprint match or not"..u mean the device itself will check the current scanned fingerprint whether it match with other fingerprint stored in database inside the device? can it check through other database? such as mysql?

This module also can give fingerprint image data. If database outside this module, you need to get fingerprint image data and store in your own storage. Then, depends on your GUI programming ex VB to make the comparison.
shahrul
Professional

Postby Marvin_G » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:26 pm

shahrul WROTE:
Marvin_G WROTE:"this module tell you either the fingerprint match or not"..u mean the device itself will check the current scanned fingerprint whether it match with other fingerprint stored in database inside the device? can it check through other database? such as mysql?

This module also can give fingerprint image data. If database outside this module, you need to get fingerprint image data and store in your own storage. Then, depends on your GUI programming ex VB to make the comparison.

I'm using MPLABX in my linux debian and this device user manual doesn't have command to upload raw data back into the device..what do u think about that?
Marvin_G
Apprentice

Postby zhenning » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:31 pm

Marvin_G WROTE:
shahrul WROTE:

I'm using MPLABX in my linux debian and this device user manual doesn't have command to upload raw data back into the device..what do u think about that?

You are using ARM or PIC microcontroller? Upload raw data back to the device for?
zhenning
Enthusiast

Postby shahrul » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:49 pm

Marvin_G WROTE:I'm using MPLABX in my linux debian and this device user manual doesn't have command to upload raw data back into the device..what do u think about that?

This fingerprint module, can download picture data, then you can save in computer (database access or mysql - I'm not expert in this part). Then I think, no point you want upload back picture data into fingerprint module.
shahrul
Professional

Postby Marvin_G » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:59 pm

shahrul WROTE:
Marvin_G WROTE:I'm using MPLABX in my linux debian and this device user manual doesn't have command to upload raw data back into the device..what do u think about that?

This fingerprint module, can download picture data, then you can save in computer (database access or mysql - I'm not expert in this part). Then I think, no point you want upload back picture data into fingerprint module.

First of all, as far as i know, the matching process only happen within the memory inside the fingerprint device is it? Why i wanted to upload the stored data back into the device is because i categorized all fingerprint into few folder in other database and it will be more than 80 fingerprint which is the maximum template that this device could support, in certain time i wanted to swap the existence fingerprint inside the device with the one in external database because i wanted to change the category at any time and then scan the person fingerprint whether she/he is in this category. You get what i mean? ^^,
Marvin_G
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to PIC Microcontroller