How to Wire a PIC Microcontroller?

Discussion about projects that used PIC Microcontroller, Hardware Interface, Programming Algorithm and etc......

How to Wire a PIC Microcontroller?

Postby pololo » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:16 pm

I'm completely new to the world of PIC Microcontrollers and electrical engineering so please go easy :)

Anyway, I managed to program my PIC16f627 to turn on three LEDs when push button (trigger button) is pressed and start a shut down sequence (basically each LED toggles off one after another with a 5 second delay in between) when another pushbutton is pressed (reset button). I've been testing this on a Velleman's K8048 PIC Programmer/ Experimentation board. PINs RA0 and RA2 are the inputs for the trigger and reset pushbuttons respectively while pins RB0, RB1, and RB2 are the output pins for the LEDs.

Working with the experimentation board is great but I want to move this to an actual circuit. The problem is I have no idea where to start. I've bought 3 LEDs (3.3 Volts each), some pushbuttons, and wire and I've constructed the following circuit:
(sorry for the horrendous schematic)

In the circuit I constructed, I first tested to see if the LEDs would work with 3 1.5 Volt AA batteries and they worked fine so I figured resisters wouldn't be necessary.

This does not work, however, and I'm totally lost. For reference, here is my code for the PIC. Its written in C using MikroC. It works on the experimentation board so I don't think its a problem
CODE: SELECT_ALL_CODE
void main() {
    TRISB.RB0 = 0;
    TRISB.RB1 = 0;
    TRISB.RB2 = 0;
    PORTB.RB0 = 0;
    PORTB.RB1 = 0;
    PORTB.RB2 = 0;
    CMCON = 0x07;
    TRISA = 255;

for(;;){
            if(PORTA.RA0 == 1 && PORTB.RB0 == 1 && PORTB.RB1 == 1 && PORTB.RB2 == 1){
                         delay_ms(5000);
                         PORTB.RB0 = 0;
                         delay_ms(5000);
                         PORTB.RB1 = 0;
                         delay_ms(5000);
                         PORTB.RB2 = 0;
            }
            if(PORTA.RA2 == 1){
                         PORTB.RB0 = 1;
                         PORTB.RB1 = 1;
                         PORTB.RB2 = 1;
            }
    }
}

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
pololo
Freshie

Re: How to Wire a PIC Microcontroller?

Postby ZaM » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:08 pm

Hi, i have no comment for your code if the code already work, but for circuit, your need to put Oscillator/clock for PIC to function if not use PIC Internal clock function.You can refer to http://www.cytron.com.my/p-sk18b product schematic to design your circuit. Please noted there is 10K resistor on Switch circuit to keep switch input HIGH/not floating and resistor at LED to limit the current through it.
ZaM

Return to PIC Microcontroller