arduino

Talk about Arduino board, sheilds. Sharing Arduino projects, program, problems, solutions, suggestions..... many more, all are welcome.

arduino

Postby sshw » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:22 am

is it the arduino is better than PIC?is it posible to combine a wirelesss remote with the arduino? my project is smart counter. what in my mind is use wireless system,a scrolling led matrix display. i hope there is someone can share all of these system circuit to me then i can make my final project more easily....thanks.
sshw
Freshie

Re: arduino

Postby stan001 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:54 am

You asked a sensitive questions, in other forums, you might get good and bad points from both sides... PIC vs AVR, just like PC vs Mac or Intel vs AMD or nVidia vs ATI, both sides with their fanboys... no ending... :)

I believe both hv their strength and weaknesses and depends on which one you are more familiar with... and of course the community support...

Arduino is an open source hardware concept gaining popularity worldwide.. just like Linux when it first started... hope it don't turn out like linux with so so many distributions until it get so confusing...

Do view this Arduino Documentary to understand the concept of open source hardware at : goo.gl/A6H7Z , they have some very cool example projects mentioned there..
--
Arduino for Beginners Blog
http://arduino-for-beginners.blogspot.com/
stan001
Novice

Postby sshw » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:54 am

which model arduino is more suitable for my project?
i need it to control 56x8 scrolling led dot matrix(may be larger than that),a wireless remote switch to trigger different output(maybe 4 or more)...
sshw
Freshie

Postby fremond » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:33 pm

i want to ask some more about my project..can u help me out??

1st) my project need to use arduino duemilanove board to connect to potentiometer which is connected to the shaft of my motor. So where will my arduino board connected to in order for me to read the value from potentiometer and feedback to my motor to command it to be stop?..can u roughly teach me how to connect?

2nd) im using two driver motor so does that mean i will have to use two power source (two 12V Sealed Lead-Acid battery) for each??

3rd? will the arduino board require power source as well?
fremond
Novice

Postby ober » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:53 pm

fremond WROTE:1st) my project need to use arduino duemilanove board to connect to potentiometer which is connected to the shaft of my motor. So where will my arduino board connected to in order for me to read the value from potentiometer and feedback to my motor to command it to be stop?..can u roughly teach me how to connect?

Not really familiar with Arduino, anyway hope I can help. connect 1 pin (site) of potentiometer to 5V on arduino, another site pin to GND of arduino and center pin to Analog input of arduino. and your motor shaft should be connected to the knob of potentiometer.

2nd) im using two driver motor so does that mean i will have to use two power source (two 12V Sealed Lead-Acid battery) for each??

Not necessary, it depends on the condition, if 1 power source is sufficient to drive 2 motor, you can share it.

3rd? will the arduino board require power source as well?

Yes, Arduino definitely require power, the question you should ask is, can arduino share the power? Again, it depends, anyway you can try to share the power 1st.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby fremond » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:13 pm

thanks a lot ober..really help me a lot^^

1) one of my stepper motor require 0.5A and another require 1A..does that mean i can just purchase one 12V/2.3Ah Lead Acid battery to share among both of my driver motor??..

2) if i just connect arduino board to my laptop, will my laptop provide enough power for the arduino board to function?
p.s : im using arduino Duemilanove

3) does cytron provide any connector that can connect the potentiometer with the motor shaft?

thanks a lot for your information^^
fremond
Novice

Postby sshw » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:46 am

i think it depends on the efficiency of laptop....i have try few days ago when i connect two servo motor direct to the arduino....it become unstable.....after that i try to connect the power supply of motor from other source everything just fine..... :)
sshw
Freshie

Postby ober » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:39 am

1) one of my stepper motor require 0.5A and another require 1A..does that mean i can just purchase one 12V/2.3Ah Lead Acid battery to share among both of my driver motor??..

It should be fine at the beginning, but it might not last long.

2) if i just connect arduino board to my laptop, will my laptop provide enough power for the arduino board to function?
p.s : im using arduino Duemilanove

If the USB from laptop is just to supply to Arduino only, it is sufficient, but if you have other devices such as brush motor, stepper motor, RC servo motor which will consume high current, the USB is not sufficient and you will further mess up the operation of arduino because the power is not stable.

3) does cytron provide any connector that can connect the potentiometer with the motor shaft?

We only have coupling in our of DIY project, PR24, the PID motor control. But it come in 1 set.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby sich » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:06 am

sshw WROTE:i think it depends on the efficiency of laptop....i have try few days ago when i connect two servo motor direct to the arduino....it become unstable.....after that i try to connect the power supply of motor from other source everything just fine.....

It's because of insufficient current supplied to the Arduino and rc servo motors from laptop's usb port. Generally a usb port supplies 500-900mA current. Normally it's only enough to drive one rc servo motor without excessive load.
~> How to ask QUESTIONS the SMART way in FORUM? <~
sich

Postby sshw » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:21 am

does it need to connect the -ve of servo motor to the arduino when i the supply from adapter for the motor? does it need a voltege regulator for the motor? can anyone give me some sample code that the output can be control by the sensor?
sshw
Freshie

Next

Return to Arduino Based