cant detect arduino board on laptop

Talk about Arduino board, sheilds. Sharing Arduino projects, program, problems, solutions, suggestions..... many more, all are welcome.

Re: cant detect arduino board on laptop

Postby ober » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:48 pm

What your Window 7 version? 32-bit or 64-bit?

It seem weird because normally it will show as "USB Serial Port (COM X)" under Device Manager.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby AGPDL » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:20 pm

Hi Ober,

I tried on another laptop and this time it works !
In the device manager it shows "Communications Port (COM8)"

I re-installed the driver in the first laptop but it still does not work. I will try and check further to find the problem.

I tried the sample Blink sketch and the upload took quite a while for such a small program (about 1 minute). Is this normal ?
AGPDL

Postby robosang » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:50 am

You might need to install the latest FTDI driver. I think Ober uploaded to Cytron tutorial site when he update about the Arduino workshop. Here is the like: Arduino Mini Workshop
robosang
Expert

Postby ober » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:09 pm

AGPDL WROTE:Hi Ober,

I tried on another laptop and this time it works !
In the device manager it shows "Communications Port (COM8)"

I re-installed the driver in the first laptop but it still does not work. I will try and check further to find the problem.

I tried the sample Blink sketch and the upload took quite a while for such a small program (about 1 minute). Is this normal ?

Yup, when you click upload, it will take sometime to compile (that is when most of the time taken), loading to Arduino board will take around 10 to 20 seconds depending on the code size. But I guess is normal because every time you click the upload, it will compile your code and follow by upload.

Anyway, it will be good if you follow the advise by robosang to download the latest FTDI driver to try, might solve the driver problem.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby mr_hacker90 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:34 pm

i think the latest version of the driver can be download directly from the arduino official website. here's the link.
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
extract. then, go to the device manager. uninstall first the arduino. tick the checkbox remove the driver. and then plug in again the arduino into the usb port. update the driver. browse into the folder location that you have been download just now. arduino-1.0/driver.

i've been through the same problem of your. new version of arduino uno board. rev 2. the previous driver not support rev 2. just download the new arduino. that's all.
mr_hacker90

Postby AGPDL » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:48 pm

Thank you all for the help.

I downloaded the FTDI driver. The driver now works. I have both the Arduino Uno and the Duemilanove. It seems that each board needs its own driver for it to connect.
Uno on COM3 and Duemilanove on COM4. Is this normal ?
AGPDL

Postby mr_hacker90 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:39 pm

hahaha... that's normal.
mr_hacker90

Previous

Return to Arduino Based