Gyro stabilizer project

Talk about Arduino board, sheilds. Sharing Arduino projects, program, problems, solutions, suggestions..... many more, all are welcome.

Gyro stabilizer project

Postby robertcooper » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:57 pm

I am a bike (motorcycle) enthusiast/ Mech Eng. Interested in ways to improve stability of a motorcycle at slow & high speeds using gyro stabilizers. The two gyros that I plan on using are motor driven with servos for positioning. I need sensors i.e. attitude sensors, servo controllers, driven by a program to optimize the positions of the gyros independently for maximum stability. I need technical advice on recommended sensors/controllers to use and some basic S/W program to drive this H/W. Would appreciate advice from anyone who has experience to recommend what I need to build a prototype. :)
robertcooper
Freshie

Re: Gyro stabilizer project

Postby sich » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:10 pm

Are you working on a robotic motorcycle? Or the normal motorcycle on road? Just want to know more about your project...
~> How to ask QUESTIONS the SMART way in FORUM? <~
sich

Postby robertcooper » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:10 pm

sich WROTE:Are you working on a robotic motorcycle? Or the normal motorcycle on road? Just want to know more about your project...

This would be a normal, heavy, 700lb highway cruising motorcycle. They are normally quite unstable at low speeds up to 15mph and easy to topple over. I would use 2 gyro stabilizers to keep the m-cycle upright. At higher speeds, the gyros positions would be controlled to allow the m-cycle to lean into turns but provide extra stability during slippery conditions. I need technical advice on this electronic control system.
robertcooper
Freshie

Postby robertcooper » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:22 pm

Hi Sich,

If you go to http://litmotors.com/ you will see exactly what I am trying to build. The difference is that I want to apply this to a standard cruising motorcycle such as a Harley. Take a look at their site with the video and let me know if you can assist.

Regards,
Robert
robertcooper
Freshie

Return to Arduino Based