Arduino Duemilanove+LCD+motor shield

Talk about Arduino board, sheilds. Sharing Arduino projects, program, problems, solutions, suggestions..... many more, all are welcome.

Arduino Duemilanove+LCD+motor shield

Postby Ryu » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:09 am

hi everybody,

I have a Duemilanove main board and i want to use it to connect LCD keypad shield and also 2A motor driver shield.

May i know whether the Duemilanove have enough pin to connect tat two shields ?

For my current knowledge about Duemilanove, it only has 14 digital I/O (of 6 pins are already gave to PWM), and hence it left 8 pins.

Ryu
Ryu

Re: Arduino Duemilanove+LCD+motor shield

Postby ABSF » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:07 am

I have a Duemilanove main board and i want to use it to connect LCD keypad shield and also 2A motor driver shield.

May i know whether the Duemilanove have enough pin to connect tat two shields ?

For my current knowledge about Duemilanove, it only has 14 digital I/O (of 6 pins are already gave to PWM), and hence it left 8 pins.

You mean the Analog pins cannot be config as digital like the PIC? The 6 bottons on the LCD shield only used up one AD pin. The LCD would used 6 digital pins while the motor control used 4 digital pins.

Allen
The next war will determine NOT who is right BUT what is left.
ABSF
Professional

Postby Ryu » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:12 am

For my knowledge, i know the analogue pins is separated with digital I/O pin and the digital I/O pin is combined with PWM pins.

LCD shield uses 6 digital pins and 1 analogue pin and Motor shield uses 4 digital (if 2 motors are used).
I have 2 questions:
1. Does the 6 PWM pins can be configured to digital I/O function?
2. If the 6 PWM pins cannot be configured to digital I/O, hence (14pin - 6PWM = 8 pins left). And you mentioned that LCD uses 6 pins and motor uses 4 pins. It is not enough pins now. Is it correct ?
Ryu

Postby ABSF » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:39 am

Ryu WROTE:LCD shield uses 6 digital pins and 1 analogue pin and Motor shield uses 4 digital (if 2 motors are used).
I have 2 questions:
1. Does the 6 PWM pins can be configured to digital I/O function?
2. If the 6 PWM pins cannot be configured to digital I/O, hence (14pin - 6PWM = 8 pins left). And you mentioned that LCD uses 6 pins and motor uses 4 pins. It is not enough pins now. Is it correct ?

1. That you have to find out from the datasheet of the AVR used in the arduino Duemilanove.
2. There are 6 PWM and 6 Analog In. The AVR used is Atmega328P (28p). Why not read the datasheets first before jumping into conclusion. I am quite sure the PWM should be able to config as digital.

Allen
The next war will determine NOT who is right BUT what is left.
ABSF
Professional

Postby robosang » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:42 pm

well, I just started to use Arduino no long ago. Agreed with Allen, why make such conclusion before reading more? Why don you try it first before you ask? Isn't those question are simple enough to get the answer by just trying it out?

Anyway, you don need to go through datasheet of ATmega :) All you need to do is visit arduino.cc

digital pin: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/DigitalPins
it is important to note that vast majority of Arduino (Atmega) analog pins, may be configured, and used, in exactly the same manner as digital pins.

PWM pin: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/PWM

analog pin: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/AnalogInputPins
While the main function of the analog pins for most Arduino users is to read analog sensors, the analog pins also have all the functionality of general purpose input/output (GPIO) pins (the same as digital pins 0 - 13).

So if you read those links, I am sure you will know that besides D0 to D13 is digital pin (input and output), of course PWM pins are reside under those group and therefore can be used as normal digital pin, you also have analog pin, those analog pin can be used as digital pin too as suggested by Allen. 8-)

Keywords, study first!
robosang
Expert

Return to Arduino Based