Arduino Duemilanove Auto Gate

Talk about Arduino board, sheilds. Sharing Arduino projects, program, problems, solutions, suggestions..... many more, all are welcome.

Arduino Duemilanove Auto Gate

Postby wjx9843 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi! I am a newbie on this programming device and need some help from you guys.. Sincerely thanks in advance.
Right now, I intend to use the Arduino Duemilanove to do a auto gate system. Therefore, can someone give me some input on what gauge that i should need? which mean which type of Arduino shield and any other part that i should have to make my project success. Also with minimum cost as possible. :)

Some requirement below but not necessary to follow:
1) 12V system
2) remote control unit
3) with safety protection

Below are some function that i can think of:
- When i press "A" button of the key chain signal transmitter, the receiver unit will detect the signal and open one door (right side only).
- When i press "B" button of the key chain signal transmitter, the receiver unit will detect the signal and open both door (left side and right side).
- When i press "A" button of the key chain signal transmitter, the receiver unit will detect the signal and open one door (right side only). During the half way through, when "A" button of the key chain signal transmitter press again, it will stop the door which is opening. or when the opening door that hit on some object, it will stop half way through (safety protection).
- After the door is opened, then when i press any button it will close back.
It is mainly use for controlling the outdoor gate system...

I am appreciate for your comment and input. Thank you very much.
:)
wjx9843
Freshie

Re: Arduino Duemilanove Auto Gate

Postby shahrul » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:45 pm

You may use RF transmitter and RF receiver. This module just use UART to operate.
shahrul
Professional

Postby ABSF » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:49 pm

Are you doing it on a scaled down model or on a real motorised gate?

though I am not familiar with Arduino. Your keychain transmitter most probably uses RF module and encoder. On the Arduino, you'd also need a RF module connected to AVR for decoding the RC Tx's signal. Are there any shields that carries an RF module?

You might need the motor control shield to control the Left and right motors and the LCD and push button shield to display the actions the Arduino is carrying out or message received from the Remote control.

Anyway, that would give you some clues to start the project. If you still have any questions, you can always post them here. 8-)

I am trying to get an Arduino Duemilanove too but it was out of stock in Cytron at the moment. :|

Allen
The next war will determine NOT who is right BUT what is left.
ABSF
Professional

Postby wjx9843 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:27 am

Thanks Mr. Allen and Shahrul, thank you for your info.
ABSF WROTE:Are you doing it on a scaled down model or on a real motorised gate?

My aim is put it on the real gate system, after i have learn up the programming skill... (Save energy, Save part, Save earth)
;)
ABSF WROTE:though I am not familiar with Arduino. Your keychain transmitter most probably uses RF module and encoder. On the Arduino, you'd also need a RF module connected to AVR for decoding the RC Tx's signal. Are there any shields that carries an RF module?

I am not sure there is RF module with encoder and decoder Arduino shield either, need to check this out....from Mr. Shahrul suggestion I guess may be need to do some modification on the key chain RF module transmitter encoder and receiver decoder to fix it in the Arduino part. Anybody that is familiar with this staff? do drop in your comment and you are always welcome...

ABSF WROTE:You might need the motor control shield to control the Left and right motors and the LCD and push button shield to display the actions the Arduino is carrying out or message received from the Remote control.

Yes, this part i agree with you, but in the real world auto gate system motor rating is as follow:
Motor voltage supply 24V~
Motor power 100W
Thrust force (max.) 1200N

which can it be drive by the motor control shield, I am thinking of the MD10C, may be need to do some modification... anyone got better info for this??

ABSF WROTE:Anyway, that would give you some clues to start the project. If you still have any questions, you can always post them here. 8-)

I am trying to get an Arduino Duemilanove too but it was out of stock in Cytron at the moment. :|

Allen

The Arduino Duemilanove is quite an user friendly device, just plug in the software that you want from the web and download to the unit and it will work. it quite fun.. :) but that you can not learn much of it... later when you come across some problem then only it is time for you to learn...
hehe... have fun and enjoy your day. :)
wjx9843
Freshie

Postby ABSF » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:54 pm

wjx9843 WROTE:I am not sure there is RF module with encoder and decoder Arduino shield either, need to check this out....from Mr. Shahrul suggestion I guess may be need to do some modification on the key chain RF module transmitter encoder and receiver decoder to fix it in the Arduino part. Anybody that is familiar with this staff? do drop in your comment and you are always welcome...

If it was just a mcu with RF transmitter inside. You'll not be able to know what format and what signals it is transmitting. The Auto-gate control and its remotes normally came in as a complete set. The place where you bought the keychain Remote most probably also sells the matching Receiver. Or just make your own Tx with mcu or PT2262 and the receiver also using mcu or PT2272. In that way you'll know what you're transmitting and what to expect on the receiving end.

wjx9843 WROTE:Yes, this part i agree with you, but in the real world auto gate system motor rating is as follow:
Motor voltage supply 24V~
Motor power 100W
Thrust force (max.) 1200N
which can it be drive by the motor control shield, I am thinking of the MD10C, may be need to do some modification... anyone got better info for this??

I was just assuming that you're doing a scaled down model for your FYP which a lot of the members here did. If you're doing it on a real Auto gate. The motor control shield I recommended would not work, of course. Since you've already shopped around the cytron site, I guess you have in mind what you wanted...

wjx9843 WROTE:The Arduino Duemilanove is quite an user friendly device, just plug in the software that you want from the web and download to the unit and it will work. it quite fun.. but that you can not learn much of it... later when you come across some problem then only it is time for you to learn...
hehe... have fun and enjoy your day.

I think I like Arduino for its powerful libraries. User friendliness is one of the factors too. Its IDE also looks very nice and colorful. Of course using Arduino is just to start up a project faster and easier instead of designing circuits and making PCBs. After the whole project is working then I can start making the final schematics and designing the PCB. For simple projects like 7-segment LED display or LED dice, Arduino is like using a Breadboard to me.

If Arduino isn't that attractive why companies start designing Arduino platforms and compatible cards using PIC.

Allen
The next war will determine NOT who is right BUT what is left.
ABSF
Professional

Postby yonghui » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:55 pm

once before i was thinking to build one also. but think only, no action.

mayb u can try to use power window or wiper motor. quite strong with worm gear.

regards,
yh
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Postby shahrul » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:10 pm

ABSF WROTE:I think I like Arduino for its powerful libraries. User friendliness is one of the factors too. Its IDE also looks very nice and colorful. Of course using Arduino is just to start up a project faster and easier instead of designing circuits and making PCBs. After the whole project is working then I can start making the final schematics and designing the PCB. For simple projects like 7-segment LED display or LED dice, Arduino is like using a Breadboard to me.

If Arduino isn't that attractive why companies start designing Arduino platforms and compatible cards using PIC.

Allen

I'm also like Arduino because of it's powerfull libraries. It's speed up learning but not much learning. I'm explore chipKIT (Arduino compatible) but still want to know what code inside the libraries.
shahrul
Professional

Postby wjx9843 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:26 pm

wjx9843 WROTE:3) with safety protection

Below are some function that i can think of:
- When i press "A" button of the key chain signal transmitter, the receiver unit will detect the signal and open one door (right side only).
- When i press "B" button of the key chain signal transmitter, the receiver unit will detect the signal and open both door (left side and right side).
- When i press "A" button of the key chain signal transmitter, the receiver unit will detect the signal and open one door (right side only). During the half way through, when "A" button of the key chain signal transmitter press again, it will stop the door which is opening. or when the opening door that hit on some object, it will stop half way through (safety protection).
- After the door is opened, then when i press any button it will close back.
It is mainly use for controlling the outdoor gate system...

I am appreciate for your comment and input. Thank you very much.
:)

Thank you again for all your input. Actually, i more consent is on the safety protection side...
" when the opening door that hit on some object, it will stop half way through (safety protection)."
How am i going to do this part?? What sensor do i require for doing this function? Any idea do input me and thank you in advance.
wjx9843
Freshie

Return to Arduino Based