Changing the atmega chips on Arduino Duemilanove

Talk about Arduino board, sheilds. Sharing Arduino projects, program, problems, solutions, suggestions..... many more, all are welcome.

Changing the atmega chips on Arduino Duemilanove

Postby uddin123 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:49 pm

Hello,

I recently bought an Arduino Duemilanove and some Atmega328 chips. I have found the process of programming the arduino board through the arduino software and the usb cable very interesting and very easy, whereas, the process of programming the atmega328 chips through the avrdude software and the usbasp cable is comparatively much more difficult (not only the hardware but the software aswell).

I was wondering if i could take out the atmega328p chip from the arduino board, replace it with my atmega328 chip and program it using the same procedure which i would use for the original arduino board and then place it back onto my circuit. Is this possible?

I am afraid that i might end up burning something if i try this without any prior opinion. Looking forward to your response.

Regards,
Uddin
uddin123
Greenhorn

Re: Changing the atmega chips on Arduino Duemilanove

Postby robosang » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:02 pm

Yes, you can but you need to load the Arduino bootloader to your Atmega first before using it the arduino method or on Arduino board.
robosang
Expert

Postby uddin123 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:21 am

Thank you very much robosang. It is working now :)
uddin123
Greenhorn

Postby robosang » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:41 am

Good!
robosang
Expert

Return to Arduino Based