power suppy problem

Talk about Arduino board, sheilds. Sharing Arduino projects, program, problems, solutions, suggestions..... many more, all are welcome.

power suppy problem

Postby EeansJE » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:54 am

I had an Arduino Uno board + Arduino XBee Shield + XBee Wifi module.

The link for Arduino XBee Shield is this http://www.cytron.com.my/viewProduct.ph ... 0module%29

and the link for XBee Wifi module is this http://www.cytron.com.my/viewProduct.ph ... e%20Antena

Both 3 things were stack together. When I plug in to Arduino Uno with USB cable, it works accordingly to what I had programmed. This no problem.

But when I change to external power supply which is 9V battery, it cannot work accordingly. Still got light and power to the board, but the system goes wrong from what I had programmed. If I unplug the Arduino XBee Shield, left only Arduino Uno, then it back to normal.

So my question is, is it the power supply not enough?? How much volt did I need? I scare to damage those expansive board T.T So any opinion from you guys??

Hope you guys can left some comments and experiences here. Thank a lotz..Any comments would be greatly appreciated!!
EeansJE

Re: power suppy problem

Postby robosang » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:49 pm

The normal 9V battery is not good for electronics project. It dry up very fast. It is only good for remote control :)

You should try adapter.

Arduino can take up to 12V without problem. It is not about voltage, in your case, is the power of 9V battery. When you use USB, it can supply 500mA, which is sufficient as you have get the result.

But 9V battery cannot supply 500mA for very long time :)
robosang
Expert

Postby EeansJE » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:50 am

robosang WROTE:The normal 9V battery is not good for electronics project. It dry up very fast. It is only good for remote control :)

You should try adapter.

Arduino can take up to 12V without problem. It is not about voltage, in your case, is the power of 9V battery. When you use USB, it can supply 500mA, which is sufficient as you have get the result.

But 9V battery cannot supply 500mA for very long time :)

that mean before buying adapter, I need to buy a new 9V battery?
EeansJE

Postby robosang » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:28 pm

Why need to buy 9V battery before buying adapter?
robosang
Expert

Postby EeansJE » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:33 am

robosang WROTE:Why need to buy 9V battery before buying adapter?

trying the cheap method before the expansive method lo.. =)
check whether if use external, system can function accordingly or not..
EeansJE

Return to Arduino Based