Cross Platform Arduino Motor Shield (L298N) Inquiry

Talk about Arduino board, sheilds. Sharing Arduino projects, program, problems, solutions, suggestions..... many more, all are welcome.

Cross Platform Arduino Motor Shield (L298N) Inquiry

Postby anapple » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:57 pm

Hi all, not sure this is a correct place to ask about the cross over platform (FPGA+Arduino Shield) question or not. Basically I am building a miniature mobile robot by using FPGA + Tamiya motors + Arduino Motor Shield (to cut off my time to build the motor driver). The motor driver is as the link below, I purchased it online from cytron :

http://www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.php?title=Arduino_Motor_Shield_(L298N)_(SKU:DRI0009)

I understand that the shield is an H Bridge motor driver to allow user to control dual channels with direction control over the motor. I manage to generate a PWM from FPGA and able to run the motor. However, I am somewhat confused with the usermanual from dfrobot, screen captured as below:

Motor.png

According to my current configuration, I am running a single channel test only, I connected my PWM signal to Pin 5 (E1) of the shield and Pin 4 (M1) is connected to 5V (High). Such setup give me a motor (Motor 1) turning in CCW direction. According to the control signal truth table as in the dfrobot manual, it is indicating that whenever I am providing PWM signal to E1, M1 should be a dont care signal. Therefore, I am assuming although I provide 0V to M1, the PWM speed control should be still available. Here comes to my questions and problem:

1)When I connect M1 to 0V (tried 3.3v which is supposed to be high signal according to dfrobot manual) the motor no longer run anymore. Any idea about this?

Control signal level:
High:2.3V≤Vin≤5V
Low:-0.3V≤Vin≤1.5V

2)2nd question, as in the III Pin Allocation above, under PWM Mode, Digital Pin 4 is used to control the motor direction, I can see from the shield PCB silkscreen, the Pin 4 is actually the pin M1, here comes to my second doubt, I am assuming the motor direction is controlled by a high (CW) and low (CCW) signal or vice versa, but when I do that, it loop back to my 1st question again. Also can anyone correct me is the Pin Allocation table above is correct or not? As you can see in the table, Digital 4 & 5 is used to control Motor 2 but in my case, I manage to turn a motor but it is Motor 1 instead of Motor 2.

This is my first post :D Dont shoot me ya :P, correct me if my assumptions are wrong. Anyway, I am building this robot for personal hobby and for fun :D Going to put on a camera module (terasic 5MP Camera) one it can navigate :D
anapple
Greenhorn

Re: Cross Plateform Arduino Motor Shield (L298N) Inquiry

Postby anapple » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:36 pm

New findings:

Now I tried to do the following configuration:

Pin 4: High Signal
Pin 5: PWM

The motor M1 is rotating in CCW direction

For 2nd configuration

Pin 7: High Signal
Pin 5: PWM

The motor M1 is rotating in CW direction.

I am very confused with the user manual as Pin 4 is used to control direction of Motor 2 and Pin 7 is used to control the direction for Motor 1. In my case, if I want to control 2 motors to turn at different direction, there is no way for me to do that as the direction of the motor 1 is controlled by Pin 4 and Pin 7 individually. Any advise?
anapple
Greenhorn

Re: Cross Platform Arduino Motor Shield (L298N) Inquiry

Postby robosang » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:00 pm

The page you give got sample code and explanation right? Just try a few configuration and you should be able to understand it.

Try to share the code you are using and the connection of the hardware.
robosang
Expert

Re: Cross Platform Arduino Motor Shield (L298N) Inquiry

Postby ober » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:38 pm

One method is using Signed-Magnitude, another is Locked-antiphase. Try searching these 2 keywords from the Internet and you should get some ideas.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Return to Arduino Based