Cytron Shield-MP3 on Arduino Uno produces only noise

Talk about Arduino board, sheilds. Sharing Arduino projects, program, problems, solutions, suggestions..... many more, all are welcome.

Cytron Shield-MP3 on Arduino Uno produces only noise

Postby johanvm » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:31 pm

Hello,

I just bought a Cytron Shield-MP3, I attached it to an Arduino Uno board, downloaded the sample code from Robotshop and I get nothing but a humming noise.

I'll describe the steps I took in more details:
  1. I downloaded the sample code from the Robotshop Shield-MP3 product page: MP3Player, with example PlayASong.ino (this is source code provided by Cytron)
  2. I added the MP3Player library to the Arduino IDE
  3. I attached the MP3 shield on the Arduino Uno board
  4. I set the jumpers on the MP3 shield as follows: SS to D3 and ASD to D2. This matches the code:
    CODE: SELECT_ALL_CODE
    MP3Player playerone(3, 2);
  5. I formatted an SD card to FAT32 and put a short mp3 file on it. The SD card and MP3 file work when I use them on a computer.
  6. I also put sta013.cfg on the SD card
  7. I inserted the SD card in the shield, uploaded the code to Arduino
  8. From debugging I know that the sta013.cfg config file is read, that the mp3 file is opened and read, and that the mp3 data is being transferd to the mp3 chip
Unfortunately, all I get is a clicking sound when the Amplifier is turned on and a humming noise while the mp3 is supposed to play. I also checked with different headphones to see whether this was the problem.
I'm out of inspiration as what to do next. I'm have some experience with coding, but little with electronics, so its hard to troubleshoot the electronics part.
johanvm
Freshie

Re: Cytron Shield-MP3 on Arduino Uno produces only noise

Postby Idris » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:03 pm

Hi johanvm,

In the SD card should have those files:
1. sta013.cfg
2. configfile.c
3. Your MP3 file.
mp3shield.png
mp3shield.png (6.1 KiB) Viewed 5386 times

We have test the example code and it is working, please refer to this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOfT9hdKJVU

If your mp3 is still not working, please share your hardware setup (clear picture) here.

Thanks.
Cytron Technologies invest time and resources providing tutorial, training and support for STEM education and maker movement. We need your support by purchasing products from Cytron Technologies. Thanks.
http://www.cytron.com.my
Idris

Postby johanvm » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:40 pm

Hello Idris,

Thanks for the quick response. Indeed I didn't copy configfile.c to the SD card. I did now, but it doesn't seem to solve my problem. It is remarkable that when I select a different .mp3 file, that the pitch of the noise is different.
The set-up is pretty simple: the mp3 shield on top of the Arduino Uno. A USB cable to my Mac, a powercable to the adapter and the headphones.
I attach 2 pictures of my set-up, the contents of the SD card, and the output window:

2015-04-16 13.27.03.jpg

2015-04-16 13.26.01.jpg

SD-contents.png

output window.png
output window.png (11.26 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
johanvm
Freshie

Postby yonghui » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:25 pm

Hi,

from the terminal output it seems like the Arduino board start the mp3 playing process already,
to verify, on power on, the data indicator LED beside the uSD card will blink briefly which indicates that Arduino is sending the setup configuration into the MP3 Decoder STA013. After that, the data indicator LED will blink continously indicating the the Arduino is sending MP3 data from the uSD card to the decoder.

if You see the LED is blinking continous, this means the MP3 decoder and arduino is working correctly.

Next Please check the Jumper setting on the shield to see whether it matched the setting in the code:
MP3Player playerone(3, 2);
jumper set to pin 3 and 2 respectively correctly?

Next trying to change the audio volume level, Try lower down the volume to see if there is any changes to the audio output. set the volume by this code

playerone.Volume(240);

if there is still no sound, then i will try send you library that i have which works on my shield.
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Postby johanvm » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:48 pm

Hello,

The led next to the SD card blinks as you describe: shortly when powering up, continuous blinking as it reads data.
Jumper settings are correct (as you can see in the pictures).
I tried changing the volume to 240, 220, 110, 10, it makes no difference: the humming noise remains at the same level.
Thanks. Johan
johanvm
Freshie

Postby yonghui » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:46 pm

Hi,
it seems like the problem is at the amplifier part. if you can speaker around with impendance 4Ohms to 8 Ohms U can try to touch the wires to the speaker pad (L+L- or R+R-) beside the earphone audio connector to see if there sounds.

another test is you can connect earphone with small single core wire wrapping the Audio jack of earphone, one wire at the first segment of earphone jack and another at the 3rd segment (all 3 segments, the inner most segment is common, another two is L and R). connect the one wire to GND and another wire to C18 or C27 pad, these two capacitor carry the signal directly from the audio DAC which actualy can drive earphone.

I hope you are using normal earphone that without microphone in your setup.

if all the test above still cannot work, then you can send for warranty.
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Postby johanvm » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:37 pm

Hello,

I performed the tests:

First I tested a 16ohm speaker on my phone to make sure the speaker was OK. It was. Then I attached the 16ohm speaker to the R output of the shield. It produced the same humming noise as I had before.

2015-04-18 13.58.30-1.jpg

Then I soldered 2 wires to a headphone: the black to the sleeve, the red to the tip. I tested again to make sure the connection and headphones works. The did. Then I attached the black wire to the GND and touched the capacitors with the other wire. I would just get a little click sound as soon as I touched the capacitors, but no other noise at all.

2015-04-18 14.20.38.jpg

What could I do next?
Thanks for the excellent support.
Johan
johanvm
Freshie

Postby yonghui » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:26 pm

Hi,

If you purchased the shield from robotshop u can contact them to exchange one for warranty. Cytron's product comes with warranty.

or

if u purchased directly from Cytron, you can send a mail to support@cytron.com.my

thanks
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Postby johanvm » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:26 am

Thanks a lot. I will contact Robotshop.
johanvm
Freshie

Postby shahrizan1980 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:01 pm

Hi admin,

I hv different kind of problem with my cytron mp3 shield (refer the image). Im using mega 2560. I hv read and tried the recommendation in this topic but unsuccesfull.
shahrizan1980
Freshie

Next

Return to Arduino Based