Which arduino pins does PS2 shield use ?

Talk about Arduino board, sheilds. Sharing Arduino projects, program, problems, solutions, suggestions..... many more, all are welcome.

Which arduino pins does PS2 shield use ?

Postby sparkmaster » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:44 am

Shield is working perfectly when plugged into an UNO. I now have them separated because of space requirements. I have the jumper set for pins 10 & 11. So I now have GND, +5, 10 & 11 on the PS2 shield connected to the same pins on the UNO. PS2 shield is flashing the status light even though controller is nearby and on. I suspect I'm missing another connection between the two?
sparkmaster

Re: Which arduino pins does PS2 shield use ?

Postby bengchet » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:07 am

Hi,

Can you show the photo of your hardware setup? So we get the picture and might detect the problem.

The connection is sufficient enough, 5V, GND and 2 UART pins. If the status light is blinking, it means PS2 receiver is not detected. It might be caused by the device defect or loose connection. Try to stack the PS2 shield back to Arduino Uno and see if it is still working as before.

Hope it helps. :)
bengchet

Postby sparkmaster » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:11 pm

I am not seeing and activity with the led on the receiver which plugs into your shield. I'm wondering if it's not getting power because I separated the shield from the UNO. I looked around for a schematic but could not find one. Is it possible that this is the problem?
sparkmaster

Postby sparkmaster » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:27 pm

Another thought - I notice on the label of the receiver that it uses 3.3v. I'm wondering it the shield gets the 3.3 from the UNO. Without a schematic for the ps2 shield I cannot determine if it generates 3.3v. I did try supplying 3.3 to the 3.3 pin on the shield but the led on the received did not light up.
sparkmaster

Postby sparkmaster » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:20 am

I cannot do what bengchet suggests because I removed all of the header pins along each side of the shield because it must fit in a tight space.
sparkmaster

Postby ober » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:51 pm

A few photos would be helpful.

Since you hack the shield, it will be difficult to tell which part is causing the problem.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby sparkmaster » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:21 am

All I really want to know is what pins does the shield use when attached to the arduino. +5, gnd, 10,11 in my case because that is where the jumper is. Are any other pins used ?
sparkmaster

Postby ober » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:59 am

Yup, the pins uses are 5V, GND, TX and RX (depends on the jumper on shield), A1 is connected to shield's RESET(for on board microcontroller), but you can leave it floating because there is pull up resistor, so it will not affect the operation.
Ober Choo
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby sparkmaster » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:21 pm

Thanks Ober. One more thing, I noticed that the PS2 dongle - plugged into your shield - is rated for 3.3v on the label attached to it. Does the PS2 shield generate 3.3 from the Arduino's 5v or does it take 3.3v from the arduino. I did try jumpering 3.3 to the sheild but did not see the led light up on the dongle. Please check the schematic to see if I'm missing anything else. Thanks
sparkmaster

Postby ober » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:21 am

Yup, PS2 shield generate 3.3V for the PS2.
Ober Choo
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Next

Return to Arduino Based