Espresso lite v2.0 to FTDI 232RL

Talk about Arduino board, sheilds. Sharing Arduino projects, program, problems, solutions, suggestions..... many more, all are welcome.

Espresso lite v2.0 to FTDI 232RL

Postby victagayun » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:55 am

Hello FTDI 232RL is configurable to work on 5V and 3V3. Just switch the jumper to which voltage you need and the Vcc pin will be that voltage together with the IO voltage.
1. Now to use on Espresso lite v2.0, what voltage should be used?
2. If I choose 5V in FTDI, the Vcc in Espresso lite v2.0 will be reduced to 3V3 due to the onboard regulator, how about the I/O voltage?
3. If I choose 3V3 in FTDI, the voltage will be further reduced and the current will not albo be enough due to the 3V3 regulator in FTDI232RL will be only very less.
4. Is there an on board voltage divider to reduce the 5V io?
5. I see some series connected zener diodes, are these to drop the voltage down to 3V3 IO?
victagayun
Fledgling

Re: Espresso lite v2.0 to FTDI 232RL

Postby ober » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:51 am

victagayun WROTE:Hello FTDI 232RL is configurable to work on 5V and 3V3. Just switch the jumper to which voltage you need and the Vcc pin will be that voltage together with the IO voltage.
1. Now to use on Espresso lite v2.0, what voltage should be used?
2. If I choose 5V in FTDI, the Vcc in Espresso lite v2.0 will be reduced to 3V3 due to the onboard regulator, how about the I/O voltage?
3. If I choose 3V3 in FTDI, the voltage will be further reduced and the current will not albo be enough due to the 3V3 regulator in FTDI232RL will be only very less.
4. Is there an on board voltage divider to reduce the 5V io?
5. I see some series connected zener diodes, are these to drop the voltage down to 3V3 IO?

1. You should use 5V if you are plug the UC00A to this image:
The reason, ESPresso lite V2.0 have a voltage regulator and proper voltage level shifter.
2. Yes, the IO of ESPresso lite will be 3.3V, and as I highlighted on no.1, there is proper level shifter.
3. Yes, that is why we recommend 5V. Yet, there are some cases where 3.3V will still work, but not stable.
4. Yes, there is.
ober

Return to Arduino Based