DIY Arduino + USB Host Shield. Is it possible?

Talk about Arduino board, sheilds. Sharing Arduino projects, program, problems, solutions, suggestions..... many more, all are welcome.

DIY Arduino + USB Host Shield. Is it possible?

Postby cyberjupiter » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:14 pm

Hi there.

First of all I have asked this question in arduino.cc forum but I am not getting any answer. So, I am gonna ask the same thing here.

I have build an Arduino on breadboard with just a crystal oscillator and reset switch. It works fine with a lot of example codes. However, I am not sure if it will work with a USB Host Shield. Will it work? Will it nor? Or do I need to add some circuitry? I am planning to buy the USB Host Shield from Cytron but it would be best if I can confirm whether it will work or not first(budget issue). Perhaps someone can try it for me?
cyberjupiter
Greenhorn

Re: DIY Arduino + USB Host Shield. Is it possible?

Postby bengchet » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:51 pm

Hi,

If your DIY Arduino can work same as ordinary Arduino board, there is no problem you use it with USB Host Shield. Normally the problem might come from manual connection between the shield and DIY Arduno (jumper wire to jumper wire connection), but as long as you follow the exact circuit connections by the user manual or online wiki and the wire connections are firm and secure, the shield should be working.
bengchet

Postby cyberjupiter » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:32 pm

My DIY Arduino work exactly as Arduino Uno R3. But I was afraid that the USB chip(ATMEGA16U2) in the original Arduino UNO might have something to supoort the USB Host Shield. The USB Host Shield is just a normal SPI device so theoretically it should work. But because I do not have one, I can't fully verify it. If the shield was around RM20++ I wouldn't hesitate to give it a shot. At least it wouldn't hurt even if it doesn't work. But it is almost RM60 and I have spent more than my budget in developing my project :cry: :cry:

I hope someone who has free time and has a USB Host Shield can try it for me. That would double confirm my question :D :D

Anyway, thanks.

UPDATE

I have ordered a USB Host Shield and waiting for the item to arrive. I will test it later on and give feedback. I hope this will be useful to anyone seeking the same answer.
cyberjupiter
Greenhorn

Postby cyberjupiter » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:02 pm

UPDATE

It is indeed possible to connect a DIY arduino with a USB Host Shield. Problem solved.

The reason I used a DIY Arduino is because my institution does not allow me to use Arduino in my FYP. They want us to sketch our own PCB so I built my own Arduino.
cyberjupiter
Greenhorn

Return to Arduino Based