Shield stops working

Talk about Arduino board, sheilds. Sharing Arduino projects, program, problems, solutions, suggestions..... many more, all are welcome.

Shield stops working

Postby enheragu » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:51 am

Hi there. I'm with a project based on an arduino UNO and a G15 Shield (Rev 2.0) with some Cube Servos.

The problem I've had (it's the second shiled that does this) is it stopped comunicating, suddenly with no reason.
I've been using it for some time without any problem and then I tried to load a new program and just didn't work.

For instance I use a S-120-12 power supply (output: 12V DC and 10A).
I'm using the software serial with TX in pin 3, RX in 2 and control in 8. (tried with PINs 11,10,8 and the same ocurred)
Theres nothing burnt or anything (at least that can be seen) nor is it too hot while working with it.

Using default cytron_g15shield library it gets error when trying to communicate:

Ping: overload error
    Set wheel mode: overload error
    Set torque on: overload error
    Exit wheel mode: range error

The error is read by serial port but theres no led blinking in the servo. (tried with PINs rx=10,tx=11,control=8 and other combinatios and the same ocured).
As I connect the servo, if theres no power supply on it makes that sound (tac tac tac) as it's no getting enough fuel, but it stops as soon as the power supply is connected. I assume theres no problem with power.

Any idea of what could be happening? It's the second shiled that goes away with no reason I can guess.

Thanks in advance!
enheragu
Freshie

Re: Shield stops working

Postby Idris » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:08 pm

Hi enheragu,

Could you share a few clear photos of your hardware setup?

Is there any possibility that you have accidentally change the G15 ID or baudrate? If so, you can try to load FactoryReset example. It will try to revert back your G15 to original setting.

1.png
Cytron Technologies invest time and resources providing tutorial, training and support for STEM education and maker movement. We need your support by purchasing products from Cytron Technologies. Thanks.
http://www.cytron.com.my
Idris

Postby enheragu » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:20 pm

Ok I solved the problem with one of them (wasn't broke at all, while debugging package send/reception I interrupted conection so it didn't work well).

I discard the ID problem, before the tests I make ping to 0xFE to get servo ID.
The other one is as it was, not working. I tried the factory reset with no success (LED from Arduino UNO blinks, which means fail).

IMG_20170926_072236_495-min.jpg
With power supply and everything connected

This is the aspect it has (theres nothing broken, brunt or anything...)

IMG_20170926_075121_783-min.jpg
Back of the shield

IMG_20170926_075110_275-min.jpg
Front of the shield

In the manual says theres no problem in powering it through arduino Vin pin. ¿Is more advisable to do it through Vmo?

Thank you for your answer
enheragu
Freshie

Postby A380 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:09 am

That G15 which you can't factory reset it, did you change its baudrate before?
A380
Discoverer

Postby enheragu » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:15 pm

Yes, it's now at 57600. But thats part of the tests it makes when doing a factory reset. And it's the one I'm using with the other shield.
enheragu
Freshie

Postby sich » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:07 pm

Can you try to verify that both Arduino and G15 are using the same baudrate? They have to 'speak' at the same speed in order to establish meaningful communication.
~> How to ask QUESTIONS the SMART way in FORUM? <~
sich

Postby enheragu » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:55 pm

It's the same servo and sketch I test with both shields. With the first one it goes well, the second one just does not connect.
I'm not capable of detecting where the problem is or how it was caused.
enheragu
Freshie

Postby sich » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:48 pm

Let's see if I understand the whole situation correctly. You have several cube servos and two G15 shields (rev2). After troubleshooting, one of the cube servo and one of the G15 shields are still not working properly. Am I right?

Have you tried to control a good cube servo with the G15 shield which is not working, then use a good G15 shield to control the cube servo which is not working? Let me know the result okay? Also share your serial port reading which shows that there are overload error and so on. It might help. Thank you.

Sorry that I'm confused and can't give any other constructive reply at the moment.
sich

Postby enheragu » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:35 pm

Haha sorry for the mess. No, I have several servos but for the tests I'm just using one. I have two shields and one of them is the ona which stopped working.

I've tested the same sketch with the same Arduino and servo. With one shield it goes well, with the other one it can not connect at all.

The thing is I'd like to know what was the reason for the shield to stop working to prevent it from happening to the other one.

Any idea?

Thanks
enheragu
Freshie

Postby sich » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:12 pm

I see... if that's the case, we'll need your help to send back the shield for further verification. Can you please email support@cytron.com.my to proceed with the warranty process?
sich

Next

Return to Arduino Based