MD30C Motor Driver and Arduino uno PWM problems

Talk about Arduino board, sheilds. Sharing Arduino projects, program, problems, solutions, suggestions..... many more, all are welcome.

MD30C Motor Driver and Arduino uno PWM problems

Postby zachreinke » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:30 am

I connected the MD30C to the Arduino uno as shown in the pictures. I am controlling the Arduino via Matlab Simulink (see pic). As soon as I try sending a 5V PWM to the MD30C Simulink flashed an error saying the connection with the Arduino was lost and the computer made a chiming noise as it disconnected and reconnected with the Arduino via the USB. I tried this twice, the second time I tried it the Arduino got hot and stopped working. Now when I connect the Arduino only 1 light comes on and it gets really hot. It wont connect with Simulink any more. I'm not sure what to do. Any ideas???
Attachments
oNPAniA_PXV1uaQO2-3j1DPJMj2BBnSHeA.jpeg
weHdGm1DxHo4QMB9aGSFK_dw0Klbnz_bww.jpeg
IMG_3209.jpg
Matlab Simulink
zachreinke
Greenhorn

Re: MD30C Motor Driver and Arduino uno PWM problems

Postby ober » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:51 pm

Thanks for clear photos and explanation, helps a lot.
The connection seem to be correct. What is the power source you are using to power the motor driver? Mind sharing the power source? Please do not use Switching Power Supply only, if you need switching power supply, please parallel it with a battery (same voltage) to absorb the flyback current generated by motor when it slow down (or in become generator).
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby zachreinke » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:57 pm

here is the power supply we are using.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IU ... UTF8&psc=1
Attachments
p1.jpg
p2.jpg
zachreinke
Greenhorn

Postby zachreinke » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:07 pm

Please note that there was no motor connected when I had this trouble. I was just testing it before I attached the motor.
zachreinke
Greenhorn

Postby ober » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:53 pm

Thanks for clear photos and the power supply description and spec.

I do not see any error on the connections and setup except we do not recommend switching power supply as the only power source as stated earlier, a parallel battery with same voltage is needed. Since the is no motor being attached and the MD30C does not take power from the control signal (PWM, DIR and GND), I do not think is the MD30C problem.

Currently the Arduino is damaged right? There is no description on MD30C, you can actually tried it out with the on board manual button and on board potentiometer. Even without signal from Arduino, standalone; just the power supply is sufficient.
Ober Choo
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby jimmywb » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:40 am

Can a flyback diode be used instead of a battery supply when using a switching power supply? If so, where should the diode be placed relative to the MD30C and the power supply? I'd rather not have to worry about the life of the battery in a long term installation.
jimmywb
Greenhorn

Postby ober » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:47 am

jimmywb WROTE:Can a flyback diode be used instead of a battery supply when using a switching power supply? If so, where should the diode be placed relative to the MD30C and the power supply? I'd rather not have to worry about the life of the battery in a long term installation.

No, not really. The flyback diode is build in MD30C. Even with flyback diode, the driver still require a power source or a path to absorb the flyback current. That is where battery or high capacitance capacitor helps.

BTW, can we verify the status of MD30C now? How about the Arduino?
Ober Choo
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Return to Arduino Based