MD30C PWM issue

Talk about Arduino board, sheilds. Sharing Arduino projects, program, problems, solutions, suggestions..... many more, all are welcome.

MD30C PWM issue

Postby jkhofer » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:00 pm

Hello, I am using an arduino to control a brushed 20V universal motor via PWM. Based on a position sensor the motor will turn either CW or CCW until the desired position is reached via PID control. The direction and the PWM work well except when a 0 PWM is being called. The brushed motor will slowly turn when the PWM is zero. I do not hear any high frequency noise coming from the motor so it is most likely a DC bias or some sort of voltage leak through. I measured the voltage at the motor terminal and it was 0.4 to 0.6 V. Did i configure my MD30C incorrectly or did i end up with a defective board?

Thanks,
Jason
jkhofer
Greenhorn

Re: MD30C PWM issue

Postby ober » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:26 am

The best way for us to look at the setup instead of guessing what and how you connect is to show us a few clear photos of the hardware setup, wiring and explanation on the voltage and reaction of motor (which you have did for some of it). Do show us the jumpers that configure the Internal or external PWM.

You can also measure the voltage of PWM input pin on MD30C when PWM = 0 in the program.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby jkhofer » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:08 pm

Ober thanks for the reply, I don't have access to the circuit right now but will take some pictures once I do. I have attached the basic circuit diagram minus the other connections to the arduino.

Even when the PWM is commanded to 0 or the PWM pin grounded the motor will turn very slowly in one direction. Measuring the voltage across the Motor A and B terminals I get about 0.4 to 0.6 V when only the MD30C is powered up or PWM is 0. Once PWM is commanded the motor will turn both directions at the various speeds but when PWM is 0 the motor still moves in one direction (very slowly). I do not hear the PWM wine of the motor so i don't believe it is PWM issue.

One thing i cannot verify is the jumper settings. Is it possible to get this issue if I didn't set the jumpers correctly?

Thanks,
Jason
Attachments
Circuit Diagram.jpg
jkhofer
Greenhorn

Postby ober » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:21 pm

Hi, thanks for the diagram, but a few actual hardware setup photos will be better.

The easiest way to know whether is driver issue or not, is to disconnect the Arduino from MD30C. Just connect power, MD30C and motor. What is the output? It should not move as there is no input at all, even the jumpers are configured wrong.

And yes, it might be jumpers problem and that is the reason why we asked for actual hardware setup photos when it comes to troubleshooting.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Return to Arduino Based