Texas Instruments Stellaris Launchpad

Discussion about project that uses other controller, or non controller based project such as using logic gates, FPGA, ARM, Mechanical ....etc. Welcome to post it here

Re: Texas Instruments Stellaris Launchpad

Postby Brian Griffin » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:29 pm

sich WROTE:Found an Arduino-alike software for TI MSP430 MCUs -> Energia. Should work for this 16-bit MCU LaunchPad. Since I don't have one, can't test and write a review about it. Anyone has this development board?

I can get one of these and play with it if you want a review. They are cheap and battery-friendly. :)
PIC - UIC00B from Cytron (replacement for my broken PICKit 2), Pickit 3, MikroC for PIC
dsPIC - MikroC for dsPIC, mikromedia board (dsPIC33)
AVR - AVR Dragon
Parallax - Prop tool
Brian Griffin
Enthusiast

Postby Brian Griffin » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:31 pm

I just got the Launchpads. Unfortunately, it doesn't fly into space, but it can certainly fly much faster than the 8-bitters around at my home.

launchpads.jpg
TI Stellaris Launchpads

The IDE is pretty huge, around 1.3GB. I have to wait for it to finish download too.

I will write up a bit more when I got time to test them. :)
PIC - UIC00B from Cytron (replacement for my broken PICKit 2), Pickit 3, MikroC for PIC
AVR - AVR Dragon
Parallax - Prop tool
Brian Griffin
Enthusiast

An Update

Postby Brian Griffin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:47 pm

After a few while of testing, I got the LED blinking and driving a character LCD (HD44780) based on the SKPIC32's tutorials on the Stellaris Launchpad.

For ARM processors, the General Purpose I/O (or GPIO) and other registers are really complex to manipulate, unlike the PIC32. You need a lot of time to comprehend the registers on the datasheet. It is an entire different world, to be honest. Best part is, the libraries supplied (StellarisWare) are simple enough to be understood, and extra details can be read from the supplied manuals.

The compiler isn't as efficient as MPLAB X, but again, you have to give them some credit for a simple IDE. The only thing I complain about is the compiler (TI CCS) kept crashing everytime I turned off the Launchpad during debug.

There are frictions in terms of learning this one, but it's many, many times better than the STM32 Discovery kits. Most of the compilers for the STM32 are difficult and convoluted, except for the MikroE ones which is slightly limited in terms of capability compared to the others.

launchpadtest.jpg
It is up in the orbit!
AVR - AVR Dragon
Parallax - Prop tool
Brian Griffin
Enthusiast

Postby zhenning » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:11 pm

Nice. Just got mine. Need to wait for some free time before working on it :)
zhenning
Enthusiast

Postby robosang » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:06 pm

Yes, thanks for sharing the progress :) Like it!
robosang
Expert

Postby sich » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:06 pm

Anyone using Launchpad with Energia IDE? Someone released a cheatsheet for Energia. It's handy as quick reference.
~> How to ask QUESTIONS the SMART way in FORUM? <~
sich

Previous

Return to Misc Project