How to build Current Limiter, Sense Battery SOC and Plug-in?

Discussion about project that uses other controller, or non controller based project such as using logic gates, FPGA, ARM, Mechanical ....etc. Welcome to post it here

How to build Current Limiter, Sense Battery SOC and Plug-in?

Postby sakurako » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:25 am

Hi, I am doing a project and facing below problems. Hope the expects here are able to advise.

1. I have an alternator producing output 12V 65A, I need to convert it to 12V 5.4A to charge my lead acid (6 numbers of 12V lead acid with charging current 0.9A each). Perhaps a current limiter? Please advise how to build 1.

2. My PIC will decide the operation mode based on battery charge level. How to build a board that able to sense the battery state of charge and send the signal to my PIC?

3. My battery should be able to perform plug in (charge from home 230V AC), do i able to build a board to produce my require 5.4amp or get a charger rating 5/6A?

Hope to hear from the gurus.

Cheers,
sakurako
Greenhorn

Re: How to build Current Limiter, Sense Battery SOC and Plug

Postby sakurako » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:15 pm

This is the charging system I plan to work out. Please correct me if any wrong and help me in above.

1. From alternator I need to lower the Amp to 5A or 6A to charge my lead acid, please advise me how?
2. Am still searching on how to sense battery state of charge and giving the reading to my PIC, please advise if any.
3. Beside charging with alternator, I will also charge from home 230VAC, I found in Cytron web ->Switching Power Supply 12V 8.5A ( PS-100S-12 ), wonder if it is suitable? Any design for output 5 or 6A only?

Cheers,
Attachments
Charging System and Switches.jpg
Charging system
Charging with alternator.jpg
Charging with alternator
Charging from home.jpg
Charging from home power supply
sakurako
Greenhorn

Return to Misc Project