FYP Project Help

Discussion about project that uses other controller, or non controller based project such as using logic gates, FPGA, ARM, Mechanical ....etc. Welcome to post it here

FYP Project Help

Postby kenfong » Fri May 09, 2014 8:15 pm

I am doing visible light communication for my fyp. I need some advice on the overall design and the approach.

I want to output data from PC->USB-LED Driver Circuit

On the LED Driver circuit how can I approach it? How can I translate this signal from USB to LED flashes? I think I can use the Cytron USB to UART to convert to signal to something. How can I move from here to LED flashes?

I am going to do the LED Driver circuit at this phase. Please advise. I know I will be able to get some products from this website.

EDITED: Already bought fast cycling 5mm RGB LED's. Distance required is short for now. I have already had access to high speed photodiode which the output will be BNC to Alligator.

Thank you.
kenfong
Greenhorn

Re: FYP Project Help

Postby wilson » Fri May 09, 2014 11:42 pm

Hi,

What kind of LED that allow? Laser diode also a type of LED that light can be visible.
And what is the distance to be achieved?
Laser diode communication is common. example : http://modulatedlight.org/optical_comms/using_laser_pointers.html
If normal LED, what kind of photodiode you are using to receive?

From PC to MCU, you do not need a USB to UART converter because MCU itself have USB module. You can use PIC18F4550, Microchip provide all sample code. From MCU USB, you can emulate a virtual COM port in PC. Your PC software is talk to that Virtual COM port. :lol:
wilson
Novice

Postby kenfong » Sun May 11, 2014 11:46 pm

Sorry for the vagueness.

Updated on the first post

What kind of MCU spec should I get? I am asking this mostly on the processing power since I need to process the received information. Or should I be asking different question on the spec?

If I use a MCU with USB module, that means I need to DIY a USB interface with the controller and I think its not that easy for me. That's why I chose a USB to UART converter plus it gives voltage as well.
kenfong
Greenhorn

Postby wilson » Mon May 12, 2014 11:22 pm

Hi,

If you use USB to Uart converter, you still need a MCU to translate data from Uart to modulate your LED. USB to Uart itself is unable to modulate your LED whatever you sent to it because LED no brain to understand what uart data is transmitting. just like Infrared LED to transmit a code to a TV or air-con.

If you have budget, you can use PIC32, 80MHz give you more than enough processing power. And you also need a PICKIT3 or ICD3.

recommend you use this if you do not have one, this is cheaper and reliable, i am using it. http://www.lelong.com.my/pickit-3-compatible-pickit3-microchip-debugger-pic18-pic32-mcu-gigasitron-144874913-2015-02-Sale-P.htm :)
wilson
Novice

Postby yonghui » Thu May 15, 2014 1:18 pm

Hi,

Besides, Usb to UART converter, u can use SK40 with PIC18F which has USB module.
http://cytron.com.my/viewProduct.php?pc ... it%20Combo%

look at the CDC library and example to create virtual COM port.

the coding for this method will be more complex if compared to using USB to UART converter.
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Return to Misc Project