Help please: RPi and PIC18F4550 and IMU sensors

Works done? Proud of it? Show off here! Let's see what you've built can help inspire others.

Help please: RPi and PIC18F4550 and IMU sensors

Postby akhter900 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi,

Need some suggestions for my project to select appropriate hardware.
I have a Raspberry Pi B computer with me and I want to read IMU sensors data (8 IMU Sensors) and also want to send the data to Desktop PC through wireless transceiver. For this project, which hardware will be wise to chose?

I will be grateful if any one could help me by providing some advice.

Best wishes,
Akhter
akhter900
Greenhorn

Re: Help please: RPi and PIC18F4550 and IMU sensors

Postby ober » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:21 am

I guess you need to understand the specification of the sensor first. Check the interface of the sensor, if it is analog output, you have to makesure Raspberry Pi is able to read analog (ADC) voltage, else you will need external ADC converter. If the sensor uses I2C or other method to deliver information, again makesure Raspberry Pi support that.

For wireless, you can choose Bluetooth if you plan to make it easy and low cost as most of laptop comes with Bluetooth.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby akhter900 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:00 pm

Dear Ober,

Thanks for your suggestions.
I am considering to use Arduino instead of PIC18F4550. Also considering to use Wireless UART 434MHz module for serial communication.

Still searching the sensor module.
Now testing using 5 DOF IMU (http://www.cytron.com.my/viewProduct.ph ... N-IMU5D-LC).

Need help to calculate the orientation and displacement. I have no idea to do that. Is it possible to generate/calculate those information using the sensor? What type of filtering may I use?

Need some more suggestions, please... :-)
akhter900
Greenhorn

Postby sich » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:20 pm

If you are using RPi, the IMU with digital output is more preferable since it can be interfaced directly. However, since you have chosen the IMU with analog output, you will need ADC converter or another MCU to process the analog value and do the interfacing with RPi. So basically you are still on the right track :D
~> How to ask QUESTIONS the SMART way in FORUM? <~
sich

Return to Project Showcase