circuit design

Questions related to PCBs design

Re: circuit design

Postby robosang » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:10 pm

ABSF WROTE:Just confirmed with my friend. Yes, it can do functional simulation.

Allen

Really? The Altium PCB drawing software can simulate circuit? Can it simulate PIC MCU with circuit plus with hex code like Proteus?

I don use Proteus too though I know what it can do. Most of the thing cannot be simulated because the Proteus does not have the library for a lot of component.... so I prefer real hardware :) Also, like zhenning said, it cost a lot.
robosang
Expert

Postby ABSF » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:07 pm

robosang WROTE:I don use Proteus too though I know what it can do. Most of the thing cannot be simulated because the Proteus does not have the library for a lot of component.... so I prefer real hardware Also, like zhenning said, it cost a lot.

Well, if you try it, you might like it or you might not. It's true that it cost a lot, but if your company is paying the bill then it should be OK. ;) ;)

There is a free simulator called LTspice IV, it was commonly used by the sci.electronics.basics group for discussing circuits. The output is in ASCII and can be easily shared by the forumers in the group. You can get it here:

http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/#LTspice

Just give it a free try and you can tell whether you like it or not. BTW this is a circuit simulator only and there is no PCB drawing functions.

Allen
The next war will determine NOT who is right BUT what is left.
ABSF
Professional

Postby ABSF » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:43 pm

robosang WROTE:
ABSF WROTE:Just confirmed with my friend. Yes, it can do functional simulation.

Really? The Altium PCB drawing software can simulate circuit? Can it simulate PIC MCU with circuit plus with hex code like Proteus?

I just have the program installed and haven't got the chance to use it and my PC broke down.

According to my friend, it is more powerful than Proteus. Simulating PIC with hex code should be no problem. He got a router machine where he can use the Altium output to directly carve the traces on the PCB and drilling holes on it. The drill bits are running at very high speed and he can make traces as fine as 1mm width and the holes as small as 0.6mm diameter. That's why he need Altium as only the protel outputs was supported by his machine. He can have prototype board ready once the PCB is ready on the PC screen.

Allen
ABSF
Professional

Postby zhenning » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:47 pm

As what i know, Altium has simulation, but its more to PCB simulation where it determines the signal's integrity as well as density and temperature.
zhenning
Enthusiast

Postby ABSF » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:57 pm

If that is the case, I am not getting the whole picture as what he described. Anyway I'll try it out myself once my PC is repaired and report it here after I've used it. :?

Allen
ABSF
Professional

Postby ABSF » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:50 am

After much searching using Google about Altium. I've come to conclusion that Altium is a poor simulator, but a great PCB manufacturing tool. My friend must have exaggerated on this software.

Apologies to zhenning and robosang. I also came across the forum postings about Altium and you might find them interesting.

Thread: can i simulate micro controller based systems with altium?
http://www.edaboard.com/thread136730.html

Thread: Circuit simulation software
http://www.edaboard.com/thread139808.html

Allen
ABSF
Professional

Postby robosang » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:18 pm

Allen,

Thanks for the comprehensive sharing, really appreciate it. Yet to read the thread you share, maybe later. Need to thank you first :D
robosang
Expert

Postby khengsing » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:34 am

Hello... I want know the PR25 DIY project schematic design, the input or output pin how to find it in eagle cad?
khengsing
Freshie

Postby zhenning » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:41 am

Just use header pins?
zhenning
Enthusiast

Postby khengsing » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:20 pm

Sorry...no...i mean the ic pin...pr25 hv i/o pin label...how to find it...
khengsing
Freshie

PreviousNext

Return to PCB Design