MAC address of ESP-WIFI Shield

Discussion on how to get started with various type of IoT projects

MAC address of ESP-WIFI Shield

Postby amitnagpalmind » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:00 pm

Hi,

I purchased Cytron SHIELD-ESP-WIFI Rev 2.0 for one of our projects. Now we need to connect it to our office's corporate network, for which our IT team requires the MAC address of this device.

Where can i find the MAC address of this device?
amitnagpalmind

Re: MAC address of ESP-WIFI Shield

Postby bengchet » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:02 pm

Hi,

You can refer to guide here . Look for section 7.1 AT Test. Follow the steps. If test is okay, enter the command "AT+CIPSTAMAC?", it will show mac address of wifi shield.
bengchet

Postby amitnagpalmind » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:46 pm

Hi bengchet,

Thanks for the response, it worked, i could get MAC address.

But now i am stuck at next stage. After running the steps of section 7.2, for connecting to wifi and following all the 13 steps; on the serial monitor it says "Error talking to shield".

What could be the issue? for jumper settings, i had shorted D2 for Rx and D3 for Tx as mentioned in the manual. I am unable to figure out any thing else apart from this.

Please help...
amitnagpalmind

Postby bengchet » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:33 pm

Hi,

if you follow all the steps, it should be working. You can attach some screenshots here about your hardware setup, Arduino serial monitor etc, for easier troubleshooting.
bengchet

Postby amitnagpalmind » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:38 pm

Hi bengchet,

i used Arduino Mega 2560 as base board and Cytron SHIELD-ESP-WIFI Rev 2.0 as the wifi shield. Arduino Mega 2560 was connected through USB. I had put the slide switch in run mode. Had put the jumpers on D2 and D3.

Ran the sketch "CytronWifiDemo".

Still message at termina is "Error talking to shield".
Attachments
setup.jpg
setup and jumper settings
script.PNG
Cytron WiFi Demo Script
Serial Monitor.PNG
Serial Monitor
amitnagpalmind

Postby bengchet » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:55 pm

Hi,

Please refer to our user manual again section 5.0 UART/SERIAL COMMUNICATION. Then you will see which pins are available for Arduino Mega. Thanks.
bengchet

Postby amitnagpalmind » Mon May 01, 2017 1:42 pm

Thanks bengchet.

I re-considered the jumper settings of both Arduino Uno and Arduino Mega, also made changes accordingly in Demo script for both. It worked on both the boards. Thanks.

Now we are stuck in a different problem.

After making a network connection, we are not able to reach the URL (cytron shield) from PC everytime. We are able to connect to the Cytron shield (by entering URL in pc's web browser) only 10-20% of the time.

For every 10 hits to the URL, the reply from the board ("hello") is only 1 or 2 times.

Sometimes the shield responds and sometimes it doesn't. It is random.

What could be the reason?
amitnagpalmind

Postby bengchet » Wed May 03, 2017 5:29 am

Hi,

The problem might come from the coding. Are you using CytronWiFiDemo sketch? Have you modified the coding?
bengchet

Postby amitnagpalmind » Wed May 03, 2017 9:14 pm

Hi Bengchet,

Though we have modified the coding a bit, but the basic code is same as Demo sketch for Cytron for connecting to wifi; and the response we are getting is delayed by around 4 to 5 seconds.

The response that we received from ethernet and other wifi shields (like Arduino) with the same code is relatively much faster.

What could be the reason? & any resolution to it?
amitnagpalmind

Postby bengchet » Thu May 04, 2017 8:57 am

Hi,

May you share the coding? 1-2 seconds is tolerable, but 4-5 seconds is a bit long for me, unless the html page is very long, or other reasons. With coding shared, I might be able to see which part to optimise, and make it serve faster. Thanks.
bengchet

Next

Return to Getting Started - IoT