Makerphat Connection Issues

Discussion on how to get started with various type of IoT projects

Makerphat Connection Issues

Postby sharmainee » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:48 pm

I have recently purchased the makerphat module and attempted to connect it to my laptop. I followed the instructions according to the getting started with Makerphat post in Cytron's page ( https://tutorial.cytron.io/2018/10/18/g ... aker-phat/ ), and have been experiencing many technical difficulties, unable to proceed smoothly. I am using the Raspberry Pi 3B for this project.

My computer is able to detect the makerphat. However, once it is mounted on top of the Raspberry Pi, the connection is immediately lost and the computer is unable to detect the makerphat all of a sudden. I have tried many different ways of troubleshooting to resolve the error code displayed (Code 45), but to no avail. I hope to be able to receive your help as this is part of a very important project! Thank you!
Attachments
error message.jpg
Error message displayed once mounted on Raspberry Pi
raspberry pi.jpg
How i connected it to the Raspberry Pi
sharmainee
Freshie

Re: Makerphat Connection Issues

Postby sharmainee » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:57 pm

Attached above are the pictures of the error message displayed and the connection of makerphat to the Raspberry Pi.
sharmainee
Freshie

Postby ober » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:16 am

I believe that is due to insufficient power from the USB port. Because you are powering up the Raspberry Pi 3B through the USB cable from your computer through the makerphat. Try to power the Raspberry Pi 3B with another power adapter.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby sharmainee » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:54 pm

I have followed the your advice but am not sure if what I'm doing is correct? I connected the Raspberry Pi to a power source and the makerphat to the laptop, however, whenever i try to start up Putty, the green light on the Raspberry Pi immediately disappears. This is what I see on my laptop and how i connected it. Once again, I hope to receive your help and thank you for replying!
Attachments
makerphat rasp pi.jpg
makerphat rasp pi.jpg (49.37 KiB) Viewed 6531 times
disp.jpg
sharmainee
Freshie

Postby ober » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:45 pm

Well, that looks good to me. As long as the Raspberry Pi responds then it is working.

Since you want to use the UART on Raspberry pi, have you enabled the Serial Interface under the config?
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby sharmainee » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:53 pm

Thank you for your help! Is the enabling of serial interface done through the Putty Configuration? If so we specified the serial destination and set the speed as suggested but when we opened and when we pressed enter, we had the same display screen as in the pic above.
sharmainee
Freshie

Return to Getting Started - IoT