M18 Capacitive Proximity Sensor

Discussion on how to get started with various type of IoT projects

M18 Capacitive Proximity Sensor

Postby glenntjr96 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:24 pm

Hi all,

I came across this product as mentioned in title (https://sg.cytron.io/c-sensor/c-proximity-sensor/c-capacitive-proximity-sensor/p-m30-capacitive-proximity-sensor-34935).

On the product description, it mentioned that the capacitive proximity sensor can detect objects based on their dielectric strength, commonly used on plastic, glass wood and paper.

However, when searching on this forum, I came across this post ( https://forum.cytron.io/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12576&p=24853&hilit=capacitive#p24853) which wrote that it will only show if there is an object or not.

In this case, can anyone kindly point me in the right direction on the type of product/sensor that I should use if I want to determine if my object is a: Metal / Paper / Plastic.

I am asking this because I am doing a project on smart recycling, and I wish to be able to detect what kind of object my trash is, and filter it according to it's correct material.

Thank you so much in advance!
glenntjr96
Fledgling

Re: M18 Capacitive Proximity Sensor

Postby ober » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:15 pm

Yes, the capacitive proximity sensor can detect objects based on their dielectric strength, commonly used on plastic, glass wood and paper; but cannot differentiate them. It is a digital sensor, within the required distance, it detects the mentioned materials, but only gives you the binary status of HIGH or LOW.

Not suitable if you want to differentiate material.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Re: M18 Capacitive Proximity Sensor

Postby MelvinGriffin » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:58 pm

Thank you for this question
MG
MelvinGriffin
Fledgling

Return to Getting Started - IoT