Problem with MD10C, 10A DC Motor Controller.

Autonomous Robot, Manual Robot, DC Motor Driver, Stepper Motor Driver, Servo, Multi PWM chip.....

Problem with MD10C, 10A DC Motor Controller.

Postby Project Zero » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:51 am

Hi,

I'm having problems with one of my 10A DC Motor controllers. I bought six for a small robotics project. All six are wired up, with the DC motor going to "A" and "B" and 12V power going to + and -. When I turn the power on, five of the speed controllers seem good to go. The on LED lights green and they seem to be awaiting commands from the microcomputer (they are not yet hooked up to it). However, the sixth motor controller the "B" LED lights up and the motor spins continuously. There is so little hooked up, I don't know what the problem could be. I have checked and double checked the wiring - the motor goes to A and B, the power goes to plus and minus. That's it. What would be causing the B LED to light up and my motor to spin without stopping, and how can I fix it?

Thanks.
Project Zero
Fledgling

Re: Problem with MD10C, 10A DC Motor Controller.

Postby yonghui » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:58 pm

all the jumpers all same on all MD10 boards?
the test buttons is working ?

if all the motor controller working with similar way except the 6th, then mayb can send back for warranty
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Postby Momentz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:44 am

May i have a look at your coding? Thank you
Momentz
Freshie

Postby kershawrobotics » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:09 am

Having a similar problem with an MD10C motor controller. Powering up the MD10C without an input signal it functions properly; the test buttons cause the output voltage to go 100% forward and reverse. The input PWM signal (1-2ms at 60 Hz) functions properly; it drives other motor speed controllers (Talon, VEX, servos) forward and reverse.

When the PWM signal is connected to the MD10C both A and B LEDs light up, with A being brighter than B. The output is forward at a reduced speed and the motor hums. The PWM signal is connected to DIR pin and the PWM pin is held at 5 vdc.

What is the problem?
kershawrobotics
Greenhorn

Postby ober » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:58 am

kershawrobotics WROTE:Having a similar problem with an MD10C motor controller. Powering up the MD10C without an input signal it functions properly; the test buttons cause the output voltage to go 100% forward and reverse. The input PWM signal (1-2ms at 60 Hz) functions properly; it drives other motor speed controllers (Talon, VEX, servos) forward and reverse.

When the PWM signal is connected to the MD10C both A and B LEDs light up, with A being brighter than B. The output is forward at a reduced speed and the motor hums. The PWM signal is connected to DIR pin and the PWM pin is held at 5 vdc.

What is the problem?

The locked Anti-phase MD10C using is not for the RC (Radio Control) PWM where the duty cycle swing between 1ms to 2ms only. In your setup, the PWM duty cycle is 1 to 2 ms with 60Hz frequency, period is 16.67ms. And this signal is being the input of direction pin, the driver will drive 1 to 2 ms in one direction and the rest of cycle (16.67ms minus 1 to 2ms) in other direction, that is why you see both LEDs will light ON with one of it is brighter (the brighter indicate it is being drive longer time).

Check out the tutorial here:http://tutorial.cytron.com.my/2013/07/29/controlling-md10c-with-arduino/ should be helpful.

If you need to drive the motor with RC signal, I would recommend MDS40A. It supports quite a lot of operating modes and one of it is RC signal.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby kershawrobotics » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:49 am

Thanks.

The PWM signal is generated from a Pololu Maestro Servo Controller. The scaling is 4000-8092. The 8092 may be the maximum output of the Maestro. I have watched the tutorial video and understand the electrical part of the signal. What script changes are needed to generate the correct signal?
kershawrobotics
Greenhorn

Postby ober » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:36 pm

kershawrobotics WROTE:Thanks.

The PWM signal is generated from a Pololu Maestro Servo Controller. The scaling is 4000-8092. The 8092 may be the maximum output of the Maestro. I have watched the tutorial video and understand the electrical part of the signal. What script changes are needed to generate the correct signal?

OK, then my guess is correct. The signal you are putting in is meant for RC type of PWM, which is not the locked anti-phase signal MD10C designed for.

You might want to check the scripting thing with Pololu as we are not familiar with that product.
Ober Choo
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby kershawrobotics » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:45 am

Thanks for the information Ober. The Pololu Maestro Servo Controller only outputs an RC PWM. I now understand the difference between an RC PWM and a true PWM. I switched to an Arduino Nano controller. The programming was reasonably simple, and the output is true PWM. MD10C(s) are performing as expected.
kershawrobotics
Greenhorn

Postby ober » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:50 am

Good to see that. Any picture or video to show?
Ober Choo
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby RattyVulcan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:00 pm

Hi, My MD10C REV3 is behaving exactly as kershawrobotics describes. However, I'm using an Arduino UNO for my PWM signal so this shouldn't be an issue?? I've read all the Cytron material etc already without any hint or clue.

My physical set-up and code is exactly as presented here: https://tutorial.cytron.io/2017/03/15/c ... uino-nano/ except I'm using a Arduino UNO and pins 2 (PWM) and 3 (DIR).

Any suggestions?

RV
RattyVulcan
Freshie

Next

Return to Robot Controller