Ground on the MD30DC R2

Autonomous Robot, Manual Robot, DC Motor Driver, Stepper Motor Driver, Servo, Multi PWM chip.....

Ground on the MD30DC R2

Postby jaellis43 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:29 am

I am developing an Autonomous Guided Vehicle and bought 2 of your 30 A DC Motor Diver's (MD30DC R2).
I need to make sure that the ground pin for the microcontroller and the ground pin for the power supply on the driver are isolated. The power supply for the robot is 24 V DC. The motors draw 24 V DC and will essentially be dirty. The power for the high and low level controllers needs clean power which I should be able to provide (on the power supply side) with a buck converter that, in essence, has an isolated ground for the high and low voltage sides.
jaellis43
Fledgling

Re: Ground on the MD30DC R2

Postby ober » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:09 am

jaellis43 WROTE:I am developing an Autonomous Guided Vehicle and bought 2 of your 30 A DC Motor Diver's (MD30DC R2).
I need to make sure that the ground pin for the microcontroller and the ground pin for the power supply on the driver are isolated. The power supply for the robot is 24 V DC. The motors draw 24 V DC and will essentially be dirty. The power for the high and low level controllers needs clean power which I should be able to provide (on the power supply side) with a buck converter that, in essence, has an isolated ground for the high and low voltage sides.

MD30C's motor power input GND and signal GND is not isolated, it is common ground for both inputs.

We have been using very noisy motor such as starter motor without problem even at 24V. If the battery have more than sufficient power for the motor, the controller will have stable voltage, else it will introduce noise and disturb the operation of controller. One of the method you can try is to put bigger capacitor at the input of controller and also battery.

Say you still need the isolated GND, use the optocoupler, separate the battery for motor and controller.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Return to Robot Controller