Shield MD10 & Arduino: Higher PWM-Frequency?

Autonomous Robot, Manual Robot, DC Motor Driver, Stepper Motor Driver, Servo, Multi PWM chip.....

Shield MD10 & Arduino: Higher PWM-Frequency?

Postby arts404 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:05 pm

I post my request in this forum, since until now under Arduino-Based no answer has arrived.

Hi all
my Arduino (UNO) Shield MD10 controls a DC brush motor 24V / 4A. I use as a PWM frequency 980 Hz in Arduino. This works very well. 
Now this frequency is extremely disturbing and easy to hear. If I have understood everything correctly, the next higher frequency with the Arduino is 31'250 Hz.
Now, the manual for this Arduino-shield sets the upper limit for the frequency at 10'000 Hz.

My question:
What can happen if I use the frequency 31'250 Hz? 
Short-term tests worked well, but the voltage regulator chip is easily warmed up.

Thank you for your answer
arts
arts404
Greenhorn

Re: Shield MD10 & Arduino: Higher PWM-Frequency?

Postby ober » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:32 am

I believe the voltage regulator will get hot no matter what frequency you use. It is the voltage that you used cause the voltage regulator to get hot. So if you need to use 24V just go ahead.
BTW, I don think the next higher Arduino PWM frequency is 31KHz, that is the base frequency, you can always use divider to get lower frequency. Please check this post out: https://playground.arduino.cc/Code/PwmFrequency
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Return to Robot Controller